• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Different monitor setups, what do you have?

Haakon

I'm in the process of designing my new office layout, and that includes monitor setup for my design computer.

The screen card is capable of running triple screens if I want, and I need to decide what configuration I want to settle on.

I've been running a mid-level single 27" 1920x1080 monitor for a couple of years now, but I feel it is limiting for a effective workflow. The designer where I used to work had a dual screen setup for photoshop and illustrator that I really liked. One screen was totally clean, just the design you were working on, and the other screen had all the menus for the tools/layers etc. Takes a bit of getting used to, but having all the tool menus expanded and ready made for a effective setup.

Now expanding on this, and having a third screen for misc like e-mail, flexi production manager etc seems appealing to me.

Now money is an object, so getting 3 matching high end monitors is not in the budget. I would think that getting one good one, for the design window, and 2 cheap ones on each side would be the best way to spend your money?

Open to suggestions though, what setup is your favourite? Feedback and pics are more than welcome!

WildWestDesigns

I use a 21" viewsonic monitor as my main monitor. Anything that requires a keyboard for main functionality is used on this screen (InDesign, Dreamweaver, Soundbooth etc).

A 21" Samsung TV is my second and middle monitor. That's for my entertainment. Either netflix or OTR/NTR.

My third monitor is a Cintiq 21UX. EmbroideryStudio, Ai, Corel, sometimes Acrobat is used here if it requires my signature etc on the PDF document.

If you haven't used a 3 monitor setup before, be very careful, it's hard to go back to even a dual setup after you've used a triple setup for any length of time. My production/travel laptop supports dual monitors (Cintiq 12WX is the second monitor) and I miss the 3rd screen every time I use it.

I will try to find a pic of my main computer setup and post it on here. The pic I'm thinking of is from when everything was clean on the desk, don't want to see that state that it is in now.

I hope this helps.

Edit:

Found a compressed facebook picture of my setup that I could get my hands on right quick.

Attachments

• Triple Monitor Setup.jpg
    Triple Monitor Setup.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 156

xxaxx

I have always gone with a 2 monitor setup ... I design on the left and keep my emails up on the right. Also, any floating windows for illustrator I keep on the right side hovering above outlook. I have never really see much of a need for a third monitor, maybe just to keep signs101 up during the day? :p

Salmoneye

(3) 2560 x 1600 30" Ultrasharps is my choice but that will be out of your budget. It also takes 2 high end cards or an expensive quadro. I see really inexpensive deals on 24" monitors all the time, on a budget that is how I would go.

particleman

3 - 22" screens. I'm running a single Radeon 5870 eyefinity card. Two DVI and one active display port to DVI adapter. I've used this setup for a couple years now and love it. I use all three monitors all day long.

Haakon

I can get 3x Dell 24" Ultrasharp (1920x1200 ips-panel) monitors for about $1000 over here, while a single 27" Ultrasharp is almost 800. Only 30" available now over here is a NEC Multisync, at well over $3000...

WildWestDesigns

3 - 22" screens. I'm running a single Radeon 5870 eyefinity card. Two DVI and one active display port to DVI adapter. I've used this setup for a couple years now and love it. I use all three monitors all day long.

That's close to what mine is. Mine is a 5970, but the DVI and display port (using an active adapter to DVI) is the same type of setup.

Salmoneye

Haakon, I am surprised that you can't get the New Dell 30" over there, Ebay is always an option isn't it? It would even be worth paying the duty and shipping. The Koreans make inexpensive 2700 x 1600 27" monitors as well. It's amazing but now that I have the 30" they don't seem big anymore. The extra real estate from the high res really gets you spoiled.

Joe Diaz

dual 24's at 1920 X 1080 here then my cintiq 12WX out front. I'm running out of desk space. LOL It's not that big of a desk. Hopefully I'll have my new office shortly and be able to expand.