• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Difficult Customers

Breezy85

Ever have those difficult customers that tell you how to do your job or act like they know how to do your job better than you? Or have someone that says "You have creative freedom," you design something then they decide they want all these changes that does not look good with the design you made for them? Or those people that call and ask for a complex sign done same day. I could go on and on LOL! I'd love to hear some of your frustrating or hilarious customer stories.

Breezy85

For the most part I like my customers. Sometimes people have unrealistic expectations but that doesn't bother me, I tell them what were able to do.

It could also be our area, it's not often but we've gotten people that think they know better. We had a guy come in and want replicated decals from a 1970s Volkswagen which we obviously did not have artwork for. Or people that send us a picture of an existing sign, ask us what size that is and to make it exactly the same. With no reference of scale. We get some interesting requests.

Breezy85

I can tell in 30 seconds if a customer is going to a PITA.

I was in the restaurant industry for a long time as well, and I could tell that within my first greet at a table if they were gonna be just that kind of table.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Totally agree. Give a friendly referral to your competition and that's that.

I've had a few of my competitors send me problem customers and I always get a kick out of firing them too. "But who is going to fix my printer?" Well you just burnt your last bridge so that's your problem!

Breezy85

I've had a few of my competitors send me problem customers and I always get a kick out of firing them too. "But who is going to fix my printer?" Well you just burnt your last bridge so that's your problem!

Now we did get someone yesterday, actually they weren't difficult but they had ordered a sign from a competitor but the sign wasn't getting to them in time for their promotion so they called us up for a same day sign which we were able to deliver.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
There are several customers that I've been given a "no contact order" from our sales staff. Guess they don't like hearing the truth.
Sorry but you can't fix stupid.

When the first thing a customer tells me is how several other sign companies didn't want to work with them, I usually know what to expect. I typically up the estimate knowing they will most likely be a pita. Patience is a virtue. If they like the final design, they like it. I have stopped giving my opinion when I know they don't really want it.

visual800

I can tell in 30 seconds if a customer is going to a PITA.

this right here! PITA customers get an inflated price and tell them we can handle your stuff in 2 weeks we are backed up.

PITA designers at home are told to go packing OR I like to put them thru hell to get me what I want. Make no mistake in my early years i spent alot of time trying to please, trying to rush your sign order at your command, working on weekends to get your stuff done.....Im 51 years old now and those days are over. NO MORE RUSH, NO MORE FRANTIC. It is YOUR issue not mine. You can go somewhere else and bother them

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
this right here! PITA customers get an inflated price and tell them we can handle your stuff in 2 weeks we are backed up.

PITA designers at home are told to go packing OR I like to put them thru hell to get me what I want. Make no mistake in my early years i spent alot of time trying to please, trying to rush your sign order at your command, working on weekends to get your stuff done.....Im 51 years old now and those days are over. NO MORE RUSH, NO MORE FRANTIC. It is YOUR issue not mine. You can go somewhere else and bother them

When I hear the word "rush", price doubles. ;)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'll take their money. It's usually very good, if you spot all the red flags ahead of time.

Someone earlier used the word....... patience. That's the key. Look past the person standing in front of you. Be bigger than them, do your job and collect your money at the end of the day. Next ??

KMC

Graphic Artist
There are several customers that I've been given a "no contact order" from our sales staff. Guess they don't like hearing the truth.
Sorry but you can't fix stupid.

not even with duct tape and a hammer these days lol