• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Digital Backlit adhesive for Colorado 1650

SeeEmWhyKay

Print Plug & Pigment Procurer
Hello there Signs101 Fam,

We have a Colorado 1650 and are in love with the output it generates so far. We have run into a few issues that Canon has typically been able to help us with, but continue to run into one issue- digital backlit adhesive. We would like to use our Avery MPI 2050 as it has been successful on our latex machines, but can't seem to get it to calibrate on the Colorado. Does anyone have any tips/ alternate media they are successfully using as an outdoor backlit digital adhesive on this printer? Bonus points if you're down to send me a profile as well.

Thanks much

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We had an issue with a specific media on the 1640 that wouldn’t calibrate.

The problem was the media bunching up between passes and we’d get media crashes.

Couple possible solutions, we’ve simply upped the vacuum before and that’s helped.

are you using the tension bar? If you’re using that, drop the vacuum settings. Typically to a canvas like profile, you want the media to glide over and the bar to hold it down.

What speed are you using? We’ve never had any banding on any media at specialty/reliance but it is pretty slow.

And there’s always the interpass delay. Gives the media extra time to settle.

The old firmware for the 1640 calibrated every media at reliance and then *guessed* the rest. Pity you can’t still use that instead of it calibrating at every speed now lol. Would be good if you could get a choice between the different calibrations!

SeeEmWhyKay

Awesome feedback, and thank you- I will run all this past my print operators to check anything we may have missed. What they are telling me is that being that the Avery liner is also clear/ translucent the light is penetrating the liner and not allowing the media to calibrate. As far as I know we are just using the standard density/ pass on the media- but I don't think we even got that far as we weren't even able to calibrate in order to set up a new profile for the backlit.

What backlit adhesive are you all using currently for your lexan/ acrylic panels on the Colorado? Willing to share your profile with ya girl? We have sort of hit a wall here with the Avery.

Thanks!

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
We had an issue with a specific media on the 1640 that wouldn’t calibrate.

The problem was the media bunching up between passes and we’d get media crashes.

Couple possible solutions, we’ve simply upped the vacuum before and that’s helped.

are you using the tension bar? If you’re using that, drop the vacuum settings. Typically to a canvas like profile, you want the media to glide over and the bar to hold it down.

What speed are you using? We’ve never had any banding on any media at specialty/reliance but it is pretty slow.

And there’s always the interpass delay. Gives the media extra time to settle.

The old firmware for the 1640 calibrated every media at reliance and then *guessed* the rest. Pity you can’t still use that instead of it calibrating at every speed now lol. Would be good if you could get a choice between the different calibrations!

interpass delay? what's this?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
interpass delay? what's this?

I’ll have a look later, maybe just a 1640 thing?

back to OP - I know the Colorado doesn’t like clear media as the little sensor in the drawer doesn’t recognise there’s media. Could that be the issue?

SeeEmWhyKay

I’ll have a look later, maybe just a 1640 thing?

back to OP - I know the Colorado doesn’t like clear media as the little sensor in the drawer doesn’t recognise there’s media. Could that be the issue?

Hey Printstuff- Yes sir, that seems to be the barrier that prevents the media from calibrating or being set up. Trying to figure out an alternate or ask if anyone is having any success with a digital adhesive backlit on the Colorado- maybe something that offers a bit more of an opaque liner.

Thank you!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Yeah not a calibration issue then. Simply a media issue.

I’ve never came across this specific problem so either worth reaching out to canon or trying some dodgy stuff. Maybe even something like putting something over the sensor to make it think there’s media

When we print on shiny stuff that the sensor can't read, we just put a 3" strip of whatever plain vinyl about 13" into a roll, and it'll read the edges and calibrate that way. Kind of a waste of material sometimes, but it works.