• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digital Media Handling

Artist369

What do yall use to handle digital media? Years ago we bought this pack of cloth gloves, but i cant seem to find them anymore.

flyplainsdrifta

also, if you are loading flatbed media, you'll want nitrile to keep sweat and oils out. cloth will just sweat thru so instead of fingerprints you end up with super fun octopus smudges all over it. trust me. nitriles good for doing the printing, cloth is great for all after that

ikarasu

Do you guys use them every time you load / unload?

Our printer requires about 10" of waste to get past the sensor...then another 2-3 inches for nozzle print, Which is usually just enough to get rid of the hand print marks, so I tend not to use anything.

I've been thinking of using gloves though... I can trick the printer into thinking it's past the sensor, so I could save a couple sqft whenever I change the media... I always figured them cloth gloves would get sweaty and be worst for media handling in the summer months though.

flyplainsdrifta

Do you guys use them every time you load / unload?

Our printer requires about 10" of waste to get past the sensor...then another 2-3 inches for nozzle print, Which is usually just enough to get rid of the hand print marks, so I tend not to use anything.

I've been thinking of using gloves though... I can trick the printer into thinking it's past the sensor, so I could save a couple sqft whenever I change the media... I always figured them cloth gloves would get sweaty and be worst for media handling in the summer months though.

you talking r2r or flatbed? but yes. i have the sweatiest hands. nitrile are great, but no breathability. be prepared for a river of sweat going down your wrists every time you raise your hands above your head, which with 4x8 sheets, tends to happen. cloth are great for post press handling as long as the gloves are changed regularly. or you don't have swamp hands.

ikarasu

Both. Our roll to roll I don't bother... flatbed I tend to wipe everything down because our coro is usually pretty dusty, so I wipe it down before printing anyways.