• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Digital Print with RealGold accents

rjssigns

Production question for yacht transom lettering. See attached file for reference. Client wants the gold drop shadow to be real gold leaf and I'm looking for best practice production. Text reads FREEDOM.

I can print/lam/cut the base lettering then plot the gold leaf and individually apply the pieces, or I can sub out to someone with an Edge and have the whole deal printed/cut on the gold leaf. Second option would cover most of the gold, but would yield a single piece.

Last gold leaf anything I did was over 20 years ago and I know things have changed since then.

Attachments

• Freedom.JPG
    Freedom.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 162
If you apply the gold separately I think the contraction of the vinyl will result in an ugly separation line. I'd print the stuff, cover the 'ungolded' parts with clear removable wall vinyl (cut to shape) and apply gold where needed (with spay glue) and then remove the removable vinyl and lam and cut.

rjssigns

Thank you fro your response. Shouldn't be any movement of vinyl though. I'm using cast wrap material with cast laminate.

Billct2

I have an Edge, so that's how I would go. I think I would still layer it though. Cut the whole letter with shade in signgold. Print the letter graphic on white with a little bit of overlap. Then apply gold, register and apply the white and then a clear vinyl overlay over the whole thing with an 1/8" overlap The thing about printing with an edge on signgold is you can still get the texture through it. Doesn't look bad on outlines and shades but on a full letter it doesn't look so hot. There are some places that have perfected printing a gold leaf effect, that would be the easiest way to do it.

fresh

We would just treat this like a 2 color vinyl job. Are you installing it? We would print/lam/cut the printed lettering, and cut the signgold drop shadow. Install the main lettering, then install the sign gold. If you're not installing it, IDK. Also, I can't remember if you can do SG wet, if you can do it wet, do it wet.

rjssigns

We would just treat this like a 2 color vinyl job. Are you installing it? We would print/lam/cut the printed lettering, and cut the signgold drop shadow. Install the main lettering, then install the sign gold. If you're not installing it, IDK. Also, I can't remember if you can do SG wet, if you can do it wet, do it wet.

Yes, I'm installing. You and Bill have covered the options. Leaning towards your idea but will talk to a friend who runs shop with an Edge. As far as printing to mimic gold that's not an option. Yacht already has Florentine gold striping then I opened my yap and said: "Sure we can match that".