• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dimensional/V-Carved signage...

Circleville Signs

I'm wanting to start getting into this side of the business more, however at this time I do not have the resources to purchase a CNC, nor the time to build one.

What I'm looking to find are some recommendations regarding the best type of software to use to design this type of work, and then what the next steps are as far as output to send to a wholesale CNC/3D carving vendor.

Is there a software solution out there that has an entry point under the 4 figure range? or better yet, something that has a trial version?

If so, are there any good tutorials out there on the best way to design using this software?

One of the things that I know I've got to start doing is diversifying our offerings, and no one around here does this type of work. Seems like a good place to go.

Billct2

I just do my designs in my Gerber software, but I don't see why Corel or Adobe wouldn't work.
When I send my file to my vendor they import it into their CNC program and that's where the design gets set up for carving.
It helps to think ahead on what is possible, some stuff gets too small and fine to work
well.

Circleville Signs

I'm not talking just about edge cut stuff - I'm talking about depth and 3D. Maybe I want to incorporate a hole in a letter, etc. Illy can't handle that type of functionality - at least not in an output form that I'm aware of....

TwoNine

Hi Circleville -

EnRoute is a popular program. It is very easy to use (IMO) and the learning curve is quite gradual. You can take some pretty basic vector files and do your tool pathing right in there. It will give you a 3D representation of it too. Plus you can start messing with bitmap textures for sand blasted looks, etc.

But for CHEAP software my favorite is Rhino. Good package - easy to use - widely supported and just plain fun.

Hope this helps!!!

FatCat

Gary, fwiw - I've been thinking along the same lines. Really would like to start offering those types of signs, but don't want to drop the big $$ on something without knowing the final outcome. Also, hate to have the whole thing done by someone else and pass it off as "my" work.

Lemme' know your findings... :)

Billct2

I'm not talking just about edge cut stuff - I'm talking about depth and 3D
I'm not either. I just do the design and send it to the vendor, they handle the 3D.
Learning a new program is great, but I haven't seen the need-yet.

Circleville Signs

I'm not either. I just do the design and send it to the vendor, they handle the 3D.
Learning a new program is great, but I haven't seen the need-yet.

Gotcha - That's not what I'm wanting to do though. I want to have full control of the bevel depths, textures, etc. I'm gonna check out Rhino - I'll Vox you Sean once I know more :smile:

SD&F

We have been using EnRoute and find it to be the best. The only problem I ever have is if I need someone in a pinch to run it, they have no experience or are unfamiliar with it.

TwoNine

Jesus. Really, Mike Ham? Don't get me wrong. I love carving. But how does that get him full control over sending art to a CNC house? What about repeatably issues? Besides - after reading your post a couple times - what do you even mean?

What is "creating a market resource for a CNC should follow"!??!??

Jeez.

letterman7

Vectric is one of the best software systems I've seen, if you don't need the horsepower of EnRoute. Aspire 3 can go head to head with the best systems in my opinion, and the price is under $2k.

Circleville Signs

I appreciate all the feedback - but spending even $500 on something that I don't even know if there is demand for in my area is outside of my range at this point. Looking at the $200-300 range. Maybe buy the software used?

skyhigh

I don't know, but is your software going to import into someone else's ? I can appreciate you wanting full control over the finished product, but I foresee your wholesaler totally redoing any file you send. When formatting (lack of a better word) a carved sign, you have to know which bits to use (and which bits your wholesaler has), which sequence you want to use them in, and even his capabilities such as vacuum hold down (do you want to include tabs or such), or a 2 step process of "hogging" out large areas with one bit, then finishing up the same area with another.

I would rather you sent me a photoshopped version of what you're looking for (in the way of adding bevels and shadows),along with the vector lines, than to send me a file I can't work with or have to redo anyways.

IMO, I think you should quit whining about "resources"....go talk to your local bank, and buy a complete CNC package. :clapping:

Justin

You can use Blender for design. It's open source, and kept up-to-date. http://www.blender.org and then use CAM software to convert to something CNC machine can use.

http://www.becausewecan.org/taxonomy/term/137 - may help you.
http://www.probotix.com/cnc_software/ - also help you.
http://vimeo.com/4130975

For Blender support(damn it has ALOT of features)

Their forum, or
If your familiar with IRC(Internet Relay Chat) you can go to their IRC support channel for some help maybe.

webchat - http://webchat.freenode.net join #blender

and if your into the black market I suggest autocad..

Kottwitz-Graphics

I don't know, but is your software going to import into someone else's ? I can appreciate you wanting full control over the finished product, but I foresee your wholesaler totally redoing any file you send. When formatting (lack of a better word) a carved sign, you have to know which bits to use (and which bits your wholesaler has), which sequence you want to use them in, and even his capabilities such as vacuum hold down (do you want to include tabs or such), or a 2 step process of "hogging" out large areas with one bit, then finishing up the same area with another.

I would rather you sent me a photoshopped version of what you're looking for (in the way of adding bevels and shadows),along with the vector lines, than to send me a file I can't work with or have to redo anyways.

IMO, I think you should quit whining about "resources"....go talk to your local bank, and buy a complete CNC package. :clapping:

+1...

A lot of doing the dimensional signage is practice, and knowing what works...and a lot of that comes from experimentation. If one of my customers sent me a rout ready file, I would be very skeptical, considering if they miscalculate a depth (expecially on v carve), and it goes too through the material, into my backer board, and into my table, possibly damaging my bit, I'd be tissed...

I'd find a good supplier, and develop a relationship with them, so that you can explain what your after, and let them decide the best way to achieve the look your after. You can concentrate on selling the next dimensional sign...