• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discount For Weeded And Taped Logo

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
Hello!
We have a 10x7 P.O.W. logo that we have done in 2014 for a client. this month, i requoted the job and the price per unit bumped up 3.99 dollars each. They are asking for a "order 500" discount.

Thoughts? My gut says no. These are all weeded and taped by hand. i don't see the value in that. If this was computer printed, or, an automatic job, then maybe i would do such a thing. The logo is cut out of 3m IJ35.

spectrum maine

Hello!
We have a 10x7 P.O.W. logo that we have done in 2014 for a client. this month, i requoted the job and the price per unit bumped up 3.99 dollars each. They are asking for a "order 500" discount.

Thoughts? My gut says no. These are all weeded and taped by hand. i don't see the value in that. If this was computer printed, or, an automatic job, then maybe i would do such a thing. The logo is cut out of 3m IJ35.
how long is ths $2000 job going to take? material cost? if you are making over $250 an hour then a competitor can easily undercut you.

printhog

You're getting $8 psf on a 250sqft order. There's less than $1 PSF cost. Nice margin to cover weeding labor. For proper business performance you can't go below 5x costs. I'd likely use the client's request for a cheaper unit price as a way to bump order quantity. For example $3.30 each at 750.

I generally make my quantity breaks relative to the roll sizes. If you're cutting on a 24 in plotter you get 3 up across the web. 1800 in rolls give you 180 downweb. Total of 540 per roll. Right near the 525 maximum margin line.

When they use all of a roll you're maximizing your per unit margin. But go over that magic number by just 1 and you've bought another roll and plunged that per unit profit.
So figure out your yield from a roll with 5% fail rate. Then base your best price on the use of a full roll. And make all further discounts relative to single roll multiples.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Johnny Best

So how long do think it will take you to do the job. Time plus material cost. is that how you came up with $3.99 each.
Sounds like a good job to get. Give them a price breakdown for #100, #250 and #500.

nashvillesigns

The material usage is marginal. at 48" high, the usage is about 60 feet. this includes some errors from labor. the weed time is about a minute a unit. so, 500 units, should be about 9 hours.

nashvillesigns

We have to use an 3m ij39. it takes two minutes to weed these things. it takes a minute and half to cut on the plotter. Hmmmm… there is some wiggle room on this order.
Mosher

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The material usage is marginal. at 48" high, the usage is about 60 feet. this includes some errors from labor. the weed time is about a minute a unit. so, 500 units, should be about 9 hours.

We have to use an 3m ij39. it takes two minutes to weed these things. it takes a minute and half to cut on the plotter. Hmmmm… there is some wiggle room on this order.
Mosher

See, now this is why it's hard to help people. Not coming down on the OP, but how can someone help you, if you give us information all over the place ?? Frankly, I don't care how long it takes to cut, that's a separate numbers from labor or material.