• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Diving In - Need some Wrapping Pointers

timnancyk

Hello all. I've been a graphic designer for over 30 years...been designing wraps for over 10 years. I really want to dive into the wrapping business and start making more $$$ then just designing them. Plus, I'm a DIY guy and would love to learn the installing. It would also be nice to get out from behind that darn computer all day.

So I will probably go the "wholesale printer" route. Meaning, I will outsource the printing and do the design and installs...BUT I want to weight my options here. I would love to understand "what" I need if I wanted to do the printing. What are the "must haves" and the best mid-level printers and materials I would need to get started? Will I "really" make a considerable amount of $$$$ printing myself? I would be leasing the printer of course. So I would take that into consideration along with the materials and ink.

As it is now, I make an average of $300-$500 on just doing the design. If I outsource the printing, I believe I can make about $1500 to $2000, depending on the type of wrap. What is the average one could profit by printing their own wraps rather then outsourcing? What are all the cost involved when doing your own printing...printer, ink, wrap materials, etc. I'm not even sure of all the equipment and materials I need when printing and/or installing. So here are a few questions I have...

1. What is the best mid-level printer on the market? (I will be using 3M wrapping products)
2. What are the costs involved when buying inks and what are the best?
3. What types of wrapping materials are needed for printing wraps? (vinyl, laminating, etc.)
4. What types of tools are necessary to do installs?
5. What is the best recommendation for garages to use for installs?
6. What's the average time it takes to do a full wrap on say a standard Ford E-150?

Thanks for the all help and guidance as I embark on this adventure.

Plus, if anyone is looking for an experienced wrap designer, ping me!

sign girl

High Dive

Wrapping takes a lot of practice. The more you do the faster you get. If you outsource the vinyl and you wreck a panel, how long will it take to get the replacement panel? Our customers want their vehicles back within a day or 2. How many wrap designs do you do in a week?
Tina

TheSnowman

In my opinion, sub it out, and spend a couple grand getting proper schooling at a wrap school. We never got big into wraps, and we already owned the printer before I investigated all of this, but even now, I sub out the print, because that gives me time to do other stuff. If you have a way to learn and practice at it, and do some simple stuff at the start of it all, I think you'd have the edge, and probably be able to get by subbing it out. If you are wanting to do a PT cruiser right out of the gate, you'll probably be hating your life though.

That's my two cents. Learn the skill, sub it out, then get into it and see if it's for you w/o being invested so heavily, that you can't change your mind if you want to go back to just designing. Most of the time when I'm installing, I've thought, "Man, it'd be nice to just be the guy that had to do the layout", but...also, that probably doesn't pay as well.

DesireeM

If you want to get into installing wraps I'd suggest you take a course. Avery and 3m both offer wrapping courses. I haven't been to the 3m course but I know that Avery has hands-on training as well as a classroom type-setup where they go through the design process and how to set up your design and print panel files for the printer/installer. It's nowhere near an "all bases covered" course but it is a good foundation for beginners. They both also have video tutorials on their websites or youtube for installers - watch those.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well........ sounds like you're diving in the deep end, head first, but forgot your bathing suit.

You're gonna get caught with your pants down, if you don't have a few more questions.

The basics are great to know, but until you have, as mentioned, your budget and skill level, they really can't be answered, so let's play around with what you do know or have.

You can design and you have the yearning for learning. It's odd that many are saying it might not be a good idea to sub out. Reason I say this is..... if you came in here saying you wanted to buy this equipment, the same people would tell you to sub it out first to get the feel for it and see what equipment you like the most. I guess it all depends what day you ask the question, huh ??

1. What is the best mid-level printer on the market? (I will be using 3M wrapping products)
There are a myriad of printers you'll find available in all kinds of price ranges
2. What are the costs involved when buying inks and what are the best?
This will depend on what equipment you buy
3. What types of wrapping materials are needed for printing wraps? (vinyl, laminating, etc.)
You already named it...... 3M and matching laminates
4. What types of tools are necessary to do installs?
A good search and you'll have all the tools you can imagine
5. What is the best recommendation for garages to use for installs?
According to your location... heated, air-conditioned, lottsa light and air flow to some degree
6. What's the average time it takes to do a full wrap on say a standard Ford E-150?
Depends on your average ability Probably between 2 days and 4 days by yourself