• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do I have a bad roll of application tape?

neckbone

I just got in a new roll of RTape Conform Series. It's a 24" roll. It's all I can do to pull some tape from the roll to create a tag end to stick to the table. Then I use my BS to apply..... having to use great force to push the roll. When I'm done, my workdraws up I guess from the tape being stretched during application. Did I get a bad roll of material?

neckbone

probably not a bad roll. just the application method and possibly the conditions.

Could you explain a little more about method / conditions? If I might be doing something wrong, I would love to figure it out. I have other rolls of the same type and they release 100 times easier than this roll. Thanks

I use RTape Conform 24" tape quite a bit and it always takes quite a bit of pressure to push with the Big Squeegee. Could it be that your older rolls have lost some adhesion due to being old and/or perhaps stored in an excessively warm or humid area? I would suppose a new roll would seem much tackier compared to a much older roll even if stored in fairly optimal conditions, but perhaps not.

How does it release? Any problems there?

neckbone

It releases fine from the vinyl, but the problem is that it's so tough to apply, that it's stretching. After I apply the tape to my work, it starts to draw up and wrinkle / tunnel, before I can get a hard squeegee on it. To me, paper tape is usually hard to unroll when you get close to the end of the roll...... but this new roll is way harder than that to unroll.

Normally when I want to create my tag end to stick to the table, I just grab the ends of the tape with both hands..... the weight of the roll then drops down on it's own.