Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have a bad roll of application tape?

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by neckbone, Nov 27, 2012.

1. neckbone

neckbone Member

Nov 19, 2011
    I just got in a new roll of RTape Conform Series. It's a 24" roll. It's all I can do to pull some tape from the roll to create a tag end to stick to the table. Then I use my BS to apply..... having to use great force to push the roll. When I'm done, my workdraws up I guess from the tape being stretched during application. Did I get a bad roll of material?

Tags:
  2. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    probably not a bad roll. just the application method and possibly the conditions.

3. neckbone

neckbone Member

Nov 19, 2011

Could you explain a little more about method / conditions? If I might be doing something wrong, I would love to figure it out. I have other rolls of the same type and they release 100 times easier than this roll. Thanks

4. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

I use RTape Conform 24" tape quite a bit and it always takes quite a bit of pressure to push with the Big Squeegee. Could it be that your older rolls have lost some adhesion due to being old and/or perhaps stored in an excessively warm or humid area? I would suppose a new roll would seem much tackier compared to a much older roll even if stored in fairly optimal conditions, but perhaps not.

How does it release? Any problems there?

5. neckbone

neckbone Member

Nov 19, 2011
    It releases fine from the vinyl, but the problem is that it's so tough to apply, that it's stretching. After I apply the tape to my work, it starts to draw up and wrinkle / tunnel, before I can get a hard squeegee on it. To me, paper tape is usually hard to unroll when you get close to the end of the roll...... but this new roll is way harder than that to unroll.

Normally when I want to create my tag end to stick to the table, I just grab the ends of the tape with both hands..... the weight of the roll then drops down on it's own.

6. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

Yeah, that sounds about typical. Maybe your new roll really is different but I'd have no clue why.

7. DizzyMarkus

DizzyMarkus Active Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Tape the graphic to the table?

Markus