• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do I require a new K head?

Colin

I'm experiencing some fuzzy edges on K-only sections of prints. I've done a manual cleaning and 2 medium machine cleanings, as well as printing a large rectangle of K, and the "soaked swab pressed gently on the head" routine. Problem remains. Does this mean a new head? (This was printed on some scrap banner material).

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9417 - sm.jpg
    IMG_9417 - sm.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 228

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you were to print a rectangle 5" x 40", but not a across your 54" width, but into your roll, will the box go off one way or the other, just a little ?? That would probably indicate an encoder strip. If the box is truly square and just fuzzy, I'd say you have a lot of static. Seeing you test strip, looks like something is messing with your head, like fuzz, dirt, static or as a last result, a bad head, but unless you remember this happening gradually, I doubt it's that.

Colin

If you were to print a rectangle 5" x 40", but not a across your 54" width, but into your roll, will the box go off one way or the other, just a little?

I see. No, all is good there. Again, other colors print clean, but the black is fuzzy. I just now received this from a local tech:

"Black side of the head is deflecting, for small print you will see blurriness, I would say 80% of the heads I change are black heads, for this reason. You can try to soak the head in cleaning solution, but it probably needs to be replaced."

I've done all manner of cleaning, so I fear it's a head. It is 4 years old, but not heavily used.

Morph1

Print all
Black is usually the first head that gets damaged due to that it is the first head from material side when your printer starts to print, this is the head that hits first when you have a material strike of any sort....
My black looks similar to your test print.. it's a damaged nozzle...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have definitely seen people print with worse. If it is an older head (3 years +) it is probably just starting to fail and/or you have had a couple nasty head strikes that are catching up to you. If you can't live with the print quality the last resort is flushing the head but be prepared for things to get better or worse.

If you are comfortable with replacing the head yourself, you should take a look at our print heads. We sell them for a good amount cheaper than if you bought one from a dealer/tech and we offer free support if you get stuck during the installation or have any questions.

El Barto

I'd get another 5 years out of that head. And then I'd just swap it with the light magenta. LOL

And yes, that report is in service mode. It'll ask which head you want to print it with and be sure and use something other than the black one.

player

Sometimes changing the dampers and or caps (with Roland OEM) can fix a fuzzy print.

After a good head soak and manual cleaning I let the printer sit. I do an auto clean almost every day. Many times deflections clear up.

Colin

Well I just got a new head, and all's well. Nice to have a good dot-pattern back, instead of the dreaded lines. ~$1500.00 - ouch.

The tech said that this occurs from the higher carbon content of the black ink, and not necessarily from head-strikes.

I had notified my original sales rep/tech as well as Roland when this originally started within the first year of ownership, but they denied it and didn't help at all. Thanks for nothing Roland!

Old banding gone:

Attachments

• P1010204.JPG
    P1010204.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 105
  • P1010198.JPG
    P1010198.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 100

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, not like you didn't make thousands upon thousands of dollars with that machine already, but i still like happy endings :thumb:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Good to hear Colin,
did you change it out on your own or have them do it?

I just went through this here my Mutoh head was $1800.00
The part not covered by maintenance - I called to have them set up an appointment to do the install for me.
After 6 days without a callback from the service department - I did it myself.
They finally called after it was up and running - told them I didn't need the service call and they promptly told me I had just voided any remaining warrantee I had left by opening it up.
I'm at the end of the contract so I didn't care too much - other than the chance that I might have turned an $1800 dollar print head into a paperweight......

wayne k
guam usa

Colin

I had the Tech do it. That aspect was probably money well spent, but Roland really doesn't need to be charging $1200.00 for the part. It's similar to the ink issue; if they want to encourage us all to use the OEM inks, why not offer them at a reasonable price, instead of constantly jacking the price up. They'd actually sell more cartridges and make more money that way. Greed is ugly.

Colin

Update on this thread. As mentioned, I got a new K head installed 9 months ago, but it seems to be doing the same sort of thing again, with the banding on RVW-BK grays (see attached). The feed calibration is all set nicely, and what's perplexing is that the other test print doesn't show any deflection.

Anyway, I guess my main question is, what sort of Roland warranty does one have with a recently installed head? I asked the guy who installed it and he said 30 days; that seems awfully short.

Attachments

• P1070276.jpg
    P1070276.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 91

Colin

I should add, it prints a CMYK and RGB gray perfectly (although we all know that these are not neutral grays, and have green or pink casts to them). it's only on the more-neutral RVW-BK blacks/grays that the "banding" (for lack of a better term) occurs.