• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do NOT buy a Roland in the North East

Steveloaf

Currently I am trying to swap out a print head. I need to do this job myself because I have been through four techs that promised to look at it but don't call back, reply to emails or show any interest what so ever in doing the job. I will gladly give you folks their names so you can avoid them.

Don't waste your breath telling me I shouldn't do it myself because I CAN'T GET A TECH TO COME! I have a service manual but just need the passcode sequence for Firmware 6.5 to get into the service menu. If anyone has the 4-arrow combination I would appreciated it.

I am thoroughly disgusted with the service techs in this area who are apparently all lazy, untrustworthy and unreliable. I will NEVER buy another Roland printer or any other product as long as I live in the New England area. I like them but service is impossible. I suggest you really consider this if you are in the market for Roland. I have been down almost two months because of this and sadly I have no option but to fix the thing myself. It's disgusting.

I am also to the point I don't want to bother with any more techs. Screw them. I don't need any recommendations for Bob, Larry, Jeff or whoever did such a great job for you. They unlikely will get off their *** and make the trip up to Maine.

I am angry enough and have lost enough money at this stage that I think I'll spend the rest of my free time posting this to every forum I can think of. I'm certainly not able to work in my shop and it will at least give me something to do.

Steveloaf

Sequence

Its a shot. I have firmware 6.50 for an SP300 so it's hard to say if it will work. I even had it written down at one time months ago and can't find it. I have searched on a few forums and have found other versions but not one for 6.50. Usually if you ask there's always someone who has to tell you that you shouldn't be doing those things yourself...blah blah blah. (Usually a tech who's patrolling the forum...)

That is why I wrote my spiel to avoid the "get a tech to help you" reply.

I have tried that for two months and it's no longer an option if I want to stay in business and get the stuff I need done by Christmas completed I need to fix this myself.

Patentagosse

I had a SP-300 2 years ago and wrote down few sequences if you want to give 'em a try. Contact me via PM and I'll try to translate 'em for you to understand (I made arrows on paper...)

Mike F

Are you dealing with Roland directly to try to get a tech out there? If not give them a call and request either Steven Jackson or Irving Donaldson, they're 2 of the most knowledgeable people I know when it comes to Roland, they'll get you back up and running in no time. And trust me, they WILL get up off their *** to help you. There's a whole forum elsewhere full of Versacamm users that will back me up on this.

I know, you didn't want any "call a tech" replies. But seriously, you could end up damaging something if you do it yourself, especially if you felt you needed to call a tech in the first place.

give andrew o a shout. hes the roland rep on this forum and i can tell you for a fact he will help you out asap. this guy has helped out with some problems we have had right away and he will help get it sorted for sure.

Mike_Koval

Are you dealing with Roland directly to try to get a tech out there? If not give them a call and request either Steven Jackson or Irving Donaldson, they're 2 of the most knowledgeable people I know when it comes to Roland, they'll get you back up and running in no time. And trust me, they WILL get up off their *** to help you. There's a whole forum elsewhere full of Versacamm users that will back me up on this.

I know, you didn't want any "call a tech" replies. But seriously, you could end up damaging something if you do it yourself, especially if you felt you needed to call a tech in the first place.

+1

Andrew O

Merchant Member
I'm sorry you are having this experience, and I understand your frustration. I'd like to try and help you. I am sure we can resolve your problems and get a tech onsite. Please send me a PM with your contact information. Your profile here at Signs101 doesn't contain your company name.

Steveloaf

Roland DGA

Any post where you discuss anything pertaining to doing your own service or even thinking about the service menu gets yourself flamed at Roland DGA. Then again, what are they going to do? Give you the info to things that if you found out how easy they are you wouldn't pay a tech $150/hr to come visit?

I am not opposed to them playing their game, they are in the business and ignorance/fear keeps them working BUT I have tried the tech route and gladly wanted to shell out money to fix this and 4 times I have been burned by these techs. As far as I can see the amount of money they have cost me allows me to complain about it. It's ridiculous how poorly I have been treated by them and all four are from totally unrelated sources.

Incredible.

petepaz

sorry i can't help you but i will say this we deal primarily with tyrreltech in flemminting, nj and they have been great with any issues we have had. maybe they could give you some tech support over the phone. dan ramm is my contact and he is also a member on this site(you are probably a little out of their area) but you can't give all of the north east roland dealer/techs a trashing. we have also delt with nazdar techs who have also been good.
good luck with the repair

Patentagosse

I did the whole heads / dampers / cap stations / pump swap myself and ended up saving over $1500! The printer ran like a new and 'never had issues related to having done it myself ('had to replace the encoder strip few weeks later so not related). I bought my parts from CMYKparts.com and the tech. out there gave me few tips to avoid running into trouble. Very helpful that guy (named Victor). You just have to take your time and be meticulous. No "special tools" required... On the other hand, if you can't fix your faucets or car yourself, well, think twice before jumping into it...

Steveloaf

Andrew

Sorry Andrew, I have heard this already and I am finished with these guys. I have lost two months with this and I am not sitting here looking at a machine that is in pieces because some Roland Whiz Kid decided he has better things to do than make a return trip (or even call and say that he isn't).

I can't do any worse right now trying myself. I have been down since September 27th and to be honest I am hardly scared that this thing blows up. At this point I almost wish it would so I could just start fresh with something else. Appreciate the sentiment but as I wrote, don't bother referring me to another tech in this area.

Andrew O

Merchant Member
I realize that you are frustrated with the techs you have been dealing with. However, we do have a Roland corporate regional tech manager who is based north of Boston. He happens to be here in California at the moment, so it would be very easy for me to talk to right now him about this and figure out what we can do. He is probably not aware of your case, since it may not have been escalated by the dealer.

I'm not sure who you have been dealing with, or if you have had contact with anyone here at Roland headquarters, but I am trying to help.

Steveloaf

Just to be clear, when I say the keys to get into service mode I do not mean holding the three lower keys while pushing the power button. I need the firmware specific sequence "i.e down, right, left, up" that you need to input before doing service menu access.

Steveloaf

Andrew- There was also another woman from an outfit in Saugus I believe that was supposed to get back to me and she never did. That's the way it has been with these jerks up here. I'd love to post a complete list of the companies that promised call backs, returned emails, a guy's will be out on such a date... Yeah, I need another promise. Not to mention that it's Friday and I am willing to be that "oh, they'll be out sometime next week"...

I could be printing in an hour and maybe do something this weekend besides watching Christmas shows.

Andrew O

Merchant Member
No, I am not referring to any dealer. We have a Roland DGA employee who is responsible for overseeing service in the area. He will be very interested in understanding your experience, and getting you back up and running.

Please PM me with your contact information and I would be more than happy to call you so that we can resolve this.

Steveloaf

Pete

Thanks Pete.

I don't consider NJ far enough northeast lol!

Most of the techs here come from Mass and since I am in Maine they'd have to actually travel when they can just hover in their area. You might as well live in Newfoundland as Maine to get any sign service. It's even tough at times to get supplies from the closer warehouses. Florescent red? Uhhhh... We have it in Ohio... Be a few days...

I appreciate your time though Pete.

Flame

Sorry Andrew, I have heard this already and I am finished with these guys. I have lost two months with this and I am not sitting here looking at a machine that is in pieces because some Roland Whiz Kid decided he has better things to do than make a return trip (or even call and say that he isn't).

I can't do any worse right now trying myself. I have been down since September 27th and to be honest I am hardly scared that this thing blows up. At this point I almost wish it would so I could just start fresh with something else. Appreciate the sentiment but as I wrote, don't bother referring me to another tech in this area.

You have someone who works directly for Roland offering to help you find a reliable tech to do a job you need done badly, and you simply keep flaming on? You don't want help, you are either a 1. drunk 2. moron 3. troll

YOU HAVE SOMEONE WORKING FOR ROLAND, right here, in this thread, following it, willing to find someone to help you do something I know for a fact is NOT an easy task. You had a problem with 4 techs, big whoop, there are thousands in this country.

Cut the attitude and I bet enough people would jump in to help that you'd be up and running within a week.