• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you do this yourself?

brycesteiner

I have been making small signs and signs people install themselves for a couple of years.

From this thread here:
http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?134884-What-do-you-think-this-is-worth-In-your-area

How many of you would install your own: dig holes, concrete, post, etc.?

If you don't do you subcontract that out or expect the customer to do that?
Do you buy the 4x4's and the post covers yourself or do you contract that out?

If you do look for someone to install it for you, do you just contact a local building contractor or what?

Also, if someone wants a lit sign (mounted on building or self standing), do you order the sign and have the contractor install it? Do you take care of the electric or do you let the installer handle that?

Thanks!

ExecuPrintGS

We do all of our own installs and very very rarely sub anything out.
I'm not comfortable putting my reputation in someone elses hands (call me a control freak)

However, if a client wants to buy just the sign and handle permits and install themselves i let them. I wish we would install everything we produce so i had control over the final outcome but thats just not realistic around here. A lot of people think they are handy enough to install "some stickers" or dig a hole for a sign, i just collect payment and let it go :covereyes:

2B

We do all of our own installs and very very rarely sub anything out.
I'm not comfortable putting my reputation in someone elses hands (call me a control freak)

However, if a client wants to buy just the sign and handle permits and install themselves i let them. I wish we would install everything we produce so i had control over the final outcome but thats just not realistic around here. A lot of people think they are handy enough to install "some stickers" or dig a hole for a sign, i just collect payment and let it go :covereyes:

this exactly, i feel more comfortable knowing that I was the last to touch the bolt, screw or adhesive.
However, when we quote a project the sign is 1 line and the installation is another line. The end user can decide what service they want to use.

threeputt

We have moved away from installations other than to apply vinyl to windows and vehicles. Most signs are cash and carry.

Occasionally (rarely) we will do a post and panel install if it's a no-frills, easy one.

The (2) options we offer our clients are these:

1) Have a third party of their choosing do the install. ie: their bother in law, a local handyman, themselves(?). They then pay the installer directly for the job.
2) We give out the name and phone of a local sign installer. (he does larger type jobs, electrical sign repair, etc.) He's very reliable, knowlegeable, and expensive. (lol)

Many sign installs require permits. Permit gathering takes time. You have to charge for it.

Only you can decide what's right for your shop.

Billct2

We install most of what we make. Sometimes sub out really large installs.
Don't deal much in electric sign installs anymore.
Installation is one of the services that separates us from the storefront sticker shop and the internet.

aburiedheart

Designer/Project Manager
I have always done everything in house. A few times, the customer will handle permitting or smaller installs. Most large installs I can handle myself. I have a good contractor who does all of my electrical and large sign installs. He also builds most lightboxes and channel letters. That way we can keep the price reasonable.

Adding install to the price will usually double it. Sometimes the install is more expensive than the sign itself. In this case, we do not have line items in the estimate.

visual800

i still do all my installs whether its digging holes or up in bucket truck. but if I do look for someone to install Inreach out to other sign folks, a lot of us work together down here