• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do You Kern?

Billct2

I see lots of examples of poor design and one of the most basic is kerning.
Do you
A. Always check the kerning on everything
B. Kern only logo designs or headers
C. Never adjust kerns
D. WTH is kerning?

wes70

A.
Though, I do not kern complete paragraphs ;)
Also, I have forgot to kern at time or two.

I can see Jill shaking her head...

ionsigns

I kern heads [headlines and subheads] expecially type as logo.

Here are some area code adjustments. The first is unaltered and BAD! Never display area code unaltered on sign or vehicle IMHO.

I didn't spend time kerning this quick example but a phone number should be kerned!

[A lame poll? If lame, don't comment. "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Even THUMPER knows that and he is a fictional bunny].

Attachments

• area code.jpg
    area code.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 135

mikey-Oh

Clergyman: I was interested to see a Bible by your bed. You actually find time to read it?
Patton: I sure do. Every goddamn day.

GypsyGraphics

I kern heads [headlines and subheads] especially type as logo.

Here are some area code adjustments. The first is unaltered and BAD! Never display area code unaltered on sign or vehicle IMHO.

I didn't spend time kerning this quick example but a phone number should be kerned!

[A lame poll? If lame, don't comment. "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Even THUMPER knows that and he is a fictional bunny].

i'd kern the "." & "1" on all those phone numbers
once i start kerning... it's hard to stop

signmeup

Lame 'cause there's no nifty bar graphs showing the results nor any "vote" button.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Kerning, duh? Ever see "V" next to an "A"? How about a "7" at the end of a line...right atop a "0"...with center justification...you know....like names and death dates on a headstone.

Kerning is a HUGE issue in my work, and once it's set in stone, it's too late for fixing.

JB

gabagoo

I just naturally will catch strange ways that certain fonts space themselves and correct them. This is mu pet peeve with Ariel...I cant beleive how much that font is used and how horrible designers let things go out using it. Phone numbers are awful in that font especially if you have a 1 in it

Last edited:

Mosh

Wh at I S K Er n ing ? I ju st plug in my cri -c u t and cu t awa y !

Seriously, my old boss would make us use "100% spacing" on the old Gerber Sprint no matter what! It looked like
some hill-billy's teeth when we were done! L i k e t h i s !

I pretty much edit all main line text, a large bunch of text not so much. Some fonts I do watch more than others.
It is all in the spacing area, not the distance between letters, the visual area....crap did I almost sound like I knew what I was doing???
Like I have been manitulating letters since 1988? WHAT???

Wait, I have a ......bbbrrrr......wait for it......

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Wh at I S K Er n ing ? I ju st plug in my cri -c u t and cu t awa y !

Seriously, my old boss would make us use "100% spacing" on the old Gerber Sprint no matter what! It looked like
some hill-billy's teeth when we were done! L i k e t h i s !

I think Mike Stevens referred to it as "air space".

JB

d fleming

I try to adjust the kerning things that irritate me, but I'll be the first to admit I don't have time to kern the Bible on a postage stamp. People who don't adjust the parenthesis on an area code pizz me all the way off.

bernie

I kern, I cut and I tweak ... I run my design full size on paper on my
plotter. If it doesn't look just right ... I mess with it until I'm comfortable.

Like JB ... once its set in stone ... people will be looking at it forever.

Bernie

Fitch

Absolutely.... just habit.

Except for "quickie logos" etc posted to Signs 101 - I don't get paid for that.

Custom_Grafx

I find Adobe's "optical" kerning quite good for most things. Of course when required, you still need to touch up.

I'm only still on corel x3, which doesn't have this option (as far as I know)... did they end up implementing an 'optical' kerning feature on x4 or x5?