• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you leave your computer on 24/7?

Do you leave your computer on 24/7?

• Total voters
P

ProWraps™

well i would say thats pretty overwhelming response.

Firemalt

I've always heard that it's hard on the components to restart a computer regularly? But I've also heard it's a good idea to shut down your computer and disconnect everything from it for 5 to 10 minutes about once a week.

???

Bigdawg

Just Me
Work computers off.

Home computers on 24/7 whether we're in front of them or not. I do turn off the monitors lots of times

Mainframe

OK, let me throw my theory around about this topic for you folks to chew on, part of this is based on 20 years of working in dealerships on cars & part is derived from a discussion I had with one of the best computer Techs I ever met (he works underground in a mine setting up & maintaining a mirror backup system for one of the largest Hotel chains in the world). When I started using computers in 92, I fell into the theory they needed to be on 24-7 to keep them from surging themselves & cooling down etc...?? Anyway I probably read this stuff in Macworld cause that is all I read, He told me with much conviction, do not leave your computer on all the time, he asked me, do you leave your car run all the time? do you leave your furnace fan run all day? do you leave all the lights on in your house 24-7? Then why would you leave your computer on all he time, the processor, hard drive, the power supply, all are wear items, why are you making them work when you don't need them, he said it is good to restart your computer every day & even better to restart it a few times a day, you aren't afraid of surging it then are you? He said the guys that sell computers & parts sold those theories & a lot of people buy into them, I just stood there with my teeth in my mouth cause I didn't really have a reply, & after repairing things on Hondas, Porches, & Audis that were worn out for 20 years he kinda made sense, so now I don't leave them on all the time & if nothing else I am not getting hacked in the middle of the night & I am using less electric & I don't notice anything different, & the Mac starts itself up when I specify every morning so it is sitting there waiitng for me when I get there- whew, sorry for the long reply, I got my knee scoped this morning & I am bored- & remember I used the word theory a lot so don't flame me haha

Bigdawg

Just Me
won't flame you for the content but...

Damn dude... break the post up a bit so we can read it. My eyes hurt after that.

If you tell me you're on pain meds for the knee though, I'll quit giving ya' a hard time. :smile:

Former member

If i'm going to be away for more than an hour or so I shut down... set to automatically sleep after 10 min. ... why keep a hard drive(s) spinning 24/7... that's just a waste.

Craig Sjoquist

I'm in n out all the time up day n night all hours .. dislike waiting for boot up, mine runs cool ..
I keep the area n computer clean ... yes it may wear it out faster but ..I don't want to wearout waiting ...i'll buy new parts instead if thats what it takes