• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you people actually like Corel?

C

ColoPrinthead

I thought that ugly beast had finally died last decade and am surprised to see how often it's mentioned on here. Why do you use it? Is it cheap compared to respectable software? I view Corel about the same as I do MS Paint and Publisher. Enlighten me.

J Hill Designs

its a tool. when used properly it gets the job done. I use it because I always have and i am sluggish in illy (to say the least). I have seen nothing that illy can do that corel cant

CanuckSigns

I thought that ugly beast had finally died last decade and am surprised to see how often it's mentioned on here. Why do you use it? Is it cheap compared to respectable software? I view Corel about the same as I do MS Paint and Publisher. Enlighten me.

seriously? the same as MS Paint? you sound like a troll to me

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Lumping CorruptDraw in the same category as MS Quaint and MS Punisher?

As Jason said, CorruptDraw can do anything Adobe Irritator can do with about one-third the steps.

<edit> Agreed. Sounds like a troll...

tomence

Corel way cheaper, easier to work and navigate, and it gets the job done faster than illy. I have both and almost always use Corel.

J

john1

Wow. Have you not seen the corel work of Joe Diaz? It's far from ms paint and honestly it's priced fair and is very powerful.

royster13

As someone who has done lots of work over the years with MS Publisher I find it to be a very useful program....I get a few orders each month from folks using MS Publisher and I find a way to make them work.....Not ever going to say I like it as much as InDesign but I also do not want to chase the business away....

WildWestDesigns

I started off with Ai, so that's what I had learned. I was compelled to learn CorelDraw when I upgraded to some software that had Draw built into the interface. I have actually come to like CorelDraw compared to Ai.

The only advantage that Ai has to me now is if I'm know I'm going to be using other programs within the Master Suite. Even then, I can always export my CDR file as an Ai and then continue on with my work in those files.

Also printing for sublimation actually works better as far as getting the colors right with Draw then Ai.

Also one clear advantage that Draw has right now with x6, that you don't have with Ai and Ai really needs it, is multi-core support.

Given that I'm one of those d**ned cheap shirt guys, it looks like CorelDraw has some advantages for me compared to Ai now. I had to use a lot more plugins to make Ai fit the bill compared to Draw.

I will still use Ai on occasion, but like I said, Corel seems to be becoming more and more my preferred program when doing my embroidery and sublimation designs.

anotherdog

Give corel it's due, I haven't found anything that illy can do that this can't. It's just that illustrator is faster and the output seems to rip cleaner than corel.

A long time ago (corel 6) I bought it because it did everything and it was a lot cheaper.
I now use CS because it's better, cleaner and more professional designers use it and give me files in it. If I had to I would use Corel and not complain.

oh and I use it because I must, not because I like Adobe gouging.

Oh but I hate publisher with a passion.

WildWestDesigns

It's just that illustrator is faster and the output seems to rip cleaner than corel.

I have actually had a crash or two in Ai.

Now do you use a separate rip program? When I'm doing sublimation, I just print directly from Corel and it ends up nicer then from Ai. I can't get the color charts and printer profile(s) to work correctly in Ai versus Corel.

I now use CS because it's better, cleaner and more professional designers use it and give me files in it.

Never had an issue of getting Ai files up to CS5. If it's 5.5 or higher(already thinking of the upcoming CS6 coming out this summer(I think it is)) nothing I would have would open it anyway.

One interesting fact that might be particular to me, is that the files that I get from outside parties are eps, ai, svg, pdf, jpg, cdr, and png. Corel Draw as always accepted those files without issue. Ai hasn't always been as forthcoming.

Now, I could be one of those recently converted radicals that is even more of a zealot then the long term zealots, I dunno.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Absolutely love it... and the fact that x6 is 64bit makes corel even better.

Illustrator has many limits and convoluted functions, but is very powerful and better at color accuracy!

Corel has an unlimited workspace, simple functions to accomplish most tasks and in x6 the color accuracy is dang close to illustrator (still playing with the profile builder)... oh yeah its 64-bit and supports true multicore processing, more than 3.25gb of ram, and did I mention it has a unlimited workspace!

Christian @ 2CT Media

I think there is room for both... I use both everyday. Some functions are easier faster and produce better results in one or the other, so my workflow has both open along with photoshop.

Letterbox Mike

Calling Joe Diaz... Please post up pics of Steampunk Stella's!!

For the record, I don't like Corel, only because I'm so familiar with Illustrator. But it's a good program. If you know what you're doing you can create some stunning work in it (as with any decent program really). Again, reference Joe's Steampunk Stella design.

J

john1

Wait...

What do you mean, YOU PEOPLE?

Attachments

• 129143536824171282.jpg
    129143536824171282.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 166

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.

Every company has it's ups and downs. There are a ton of respectable software out there that is free, cheap and expensive ... just to assume it's the same as ms paint ... baaddddddd mojo. I mean Inkscape (inkscape.org) is an open source program for vector graphics that has the potrace source code built into it. and thus for the PC has (IMO) the BEST tracing program for b/w illustration work out there. I have no idea how many times that program has saved me hours of work cleaning something up from an ink drawing so all I have to do is throw the graphics into my system and get to working on it.

I personally love corel ... they have 3 programs that make my life easy. Corel draw is a vector suite that also has a couple other bridged programs with it (for raster or the such) and in many ways is better than illustrator for DESIGN work. It can do a lot of simple things a lot faster .... A LOT faster. little rougher to work with when doing complex illustrations ... but that is what illustrator excels at so why copy what others can do better. Corel paint ... god ... that program makes it so easy to do digitally painted illustration work ... makes photoshop seem like ms paint at times. still not a photo editor though ... only a digital painting program ... it's what professional illustrators and concept artists use to do their matt painting and digital concepts now (they also use photoshop and a few others ... just seems like a large majority favor that program over photoshop). and corel video studio is just a nice simple video editing software ... good program too.

I still have adobe suite though ... just don't use illustrator all that much ... only photoshop and indesign.

all depends on personal preference.

Flame

I call drunk troll. If you seriously believe that, then you are obviously a noob. Either way, go away.