Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do youth teams pay sales tax?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by john1, Oct 8, 2012.

1. john1

john1 Guest

I can't figure out for the life of me anywhere about youth sports teams (softball, soccer) paying sales tax or not.

I have a run of decals for a local soccer team and was wondering. I'm pretty sure they are non-profit but want to be 100%.

Anyone know?

:thankyou:

Tags:
  2. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    Unless they provide a tax exempt form they pay tax.

there is no guessing because if you don't charge tax and the IRS says they pay then you get in trouble.

3. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    ^ ^ + 1 ^ ^

4. ucmj22

ucmj22 Very Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    This is generally how I figure tax status.
    1) are they a registered tax exempt organization with supplied documentation? tax=NO
    2) are they reselling your product with supplied reseller documentation? tax=NO
    3) anyone else? tax=YES

5. FireSprint

FireSprint Very Active Member

These guys are all right - but just to beat a dead horse. If they don't give you documentation from your state that give them some kind of exempt status, then you need to charge them sales tax.

http://business.marylandtaxes.com/taxinfo/salesanduse/exemption/default.asp

What they tell you is completely irrelevant without the appropriate documentation.

Also (it works this way in Nebraska) if they are in fact sales tax exempt, and they pay sales tax when they shouldn't have, they should be able to file for a refund - so even if you are in the wrong, they aren't really out any $$$ if they're on top of their paperwork.

6. john1

john1 Guest

Thank ya's!

7. binki

binki Very Active Member

Jul 23, 2007
    The PRC
    In California EVERYONE pays sales tax except:
    The State
    Resellers with a valid sellers permit when the goods are for resale
    Those with an exemption certificate (very rare here)

That is it.

A common misconception is non-profits do not pay sales tax here. That is not true.