• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion Does anyone have a set fee.........................??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've done many site surveys over the years and it seems to be getting more and more in the last few years. We have a set price for this, but these other shops seem to wanna set the cost, instead of me lately. The other shops have budgets which range from $170 for pictures and written information up to $500. However, the high priced ones never seem to come through. Does anyone in their right mind travel 1/2 an hour to 3/4's of an hour away for only $200 ??

Just wandering, as we seem to be missing out, but if you're only getting $200 for a 2 to 3 hour job, hardly seems worth it. Crawling around up inside of crawl spaces to measuring all the windows and whatnot. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy going out in the bucket, but at 8 miles to the gallon, it ain't worth going 50 miles round trip along with all the other sh!t involved.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Gino said:
I run our business they way I see fit and has worked for us for decades and learned through the school of Hard Knocks

Why do you care what anyone else charges? You said the above quote yourself... so how can "other shops seem to wanna set the cost, instead of me lately." ?

You portray yourself as master of all sign things. It's your shop. Charge whatever you want.

hcardwell93

They probably have that nephew that they cant fire destroys anything he touches so it's worth making less just to get him out of the shop.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why do you care what anyone else charges? You said the above quote yourself... so how can "other shops seem to wanna set the cost, instead of me lately." ?

You portray yourself as master of all sign things. It's your shop. Charge whatever you want.

Aww, c'mon BigDawg, don't you wanna play along ??

You can see, if you look around, this place is a joke, lately. No one has a clue as to what they're doing, saying or just plain running their shops. I ask some simple questions and you have minute micro managed thoughts on the situation. Now, you wanna shove this in my face. How 'bout you trying to help someone once in a while ??

If you noticed, my threads have been labeled discussions or something similar. I ain't trying to re-invent anything, I just wanna compare some things, that maybe some of the others haven't gotten to. Being a spoiled little brat isn't like you, so if you don't wanna play along, why try to be hurtful ??

What's really ailing ya ??

Bigdawg

Just Me
Spoiled brat? Hmmmm... that's a new one. And go ahead and look at my posts - most are helpful advice.

Nothing ailing me. Just get tired of the Gino show sometimes. It's why I don't log in often - and I'm not the only one. It's taken over the board in case you hadn't noticed. If I had posted what we charge, the inevitable answer would be the five paragraphs explaining why I was wrong and you were right. You always have to be right and have the last word. None of us here know as much as the great and mighty Gino. It gets old. I will give you your years of experience. You've earned that. But it doesn't make you the only one that knows how to make a sign the right way.

I realize you don't think you've changed at all over the years. And maybe you haven't. Maybe I just see a little clearer nowadays. I used to really respect you as a person and a sign guy... not so much any more. And that, my former friend, is the saddest part of all.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yo BigDawg..... if ya wanna just fight and take pokes at people, why not start your own thread ??

I'm not about to go up against the mighty BigDawg, especially since you made it clear..... former friend. Now, that says alot. It doesn't hurt, as I could tell it was that way for almost the entire time I was here. I might've opened your eyes on certain things, but really, I'm not different now than the early years here. I'm still the stubborn person I was and still have a thing against liars and cheats.

Gino Show.....?? Ha, it's better than the show taking place, lately.

Why do you think I need to be right ?? I say the things I believe and have experienced...... and most agree with me, even the people who don't like me. How is it, I have 4 times as many likes as the next nearest person. From being wrong ?? From being nasty ?? From being what ??

Seeing a little clearer ?? Is that what you really think ?? It took you 10 years for you to see clearly ?? Nah, not at all. Ya just don't care about this place or who you step on whether it's for good reasons or lousy reasons. As I said a long time ago, you don't mind dishing it out, but when someone puts it right back at ya, you don't mind double crossing, bringing up old sh!t or whatever to get your point across. I know what I've done here and pretty much in business and my life. I'm not ashamed of any of it. Some things I might've done differently, but the answers and posts at this place, hardly. Perhaps you should remember when it's good to stop and go no further. I will never bring up the things you confided in me, but I will do it in private.

As for your respect, I'm saddened you feel that way, but so be it. I'm a big boy. Ya can't please 'em all, huh ??

shoresigns

Get a room, you two.

We charge our standard hourly rate for site surveys. Sometimes we'll do small ones for free if we're in the area, or if we know we're likely to get the job, we'll factor it into the quote rather than charging for a site survey before quoting a job. It varies.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Get a room, you two.

We charge our standard hourly rate for site surveys. Sometimes we'll do small ones for free if we're in the area, or if we know we're likely to get the job, we'll factor it into the quote rather than charging for a site survey before quoting a job. It varies.

No, these are not jobs, just a site survey and they generally need it done within a day or two. No luxury of doing it when I'm in the area. This one can wait til Monday. They then turn the signs out and have the installation out for bid, too.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Lol probably would have been better to get a room instead of putting in a guest appearance on the Gino show. Sorry to my fellow Forum members for this. Will try very hard not to let it happen again.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
So after reading the various posts between Gino and Bigdawg.....

Someone asks me to do a survey, I send them a quote based on the amount of time I think it will take to do based on their request. Quote also includes travel to AND from the site. If I get it, I get it if not, I'm on to something else making money.

Gene@mpls

I have been here for a while too. I find that everybody is on edge everywhere, and it brings out more angry, aggressive behavior. There is an old Chinese curse...
“May he live in interesting times”
I am afraid that we are living in those 'interesting times'... may dog help us

Johnny Best

gino4.jpg

Marlene

by other shops setting the price are you talking about doing a survey for a national sign company? if so, yep they do set their own costs. we've gotten some where they will pay $35.00 to drive to Brattleboro which is at the other end of the state and $35 wouldn't even cover our hourly rate. if that isn't what you are talking about then why would you care what other shops charge? some around here do it for free.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
by other shops setting the price are you talking about doing a survey for a national sign company? if so, yep they do set their own costs. we've gotten some where they will pay $35.00 to drive to Brattleboro which is at the other end of the state and $35 wouldn't even cover our hourly rate. if that isn't what you are talking about then why would you care what other shops charge? some around here do it for free.

Like someone else mentioned, my answer is still.... this was more of a discussion. I do have a set price for a certain radius and we have 3 radii that we will go to make it worth our while. However, as you and a few others have missed, I wanted to find out if others are getting their set prices, if they have any or who in their right mind would go do this sh!t for free as you said you know of some.

This was only a discussion to kinda spark some interest in real sign people talking. Evidently some of you are H*llbent on just crushing any sign talk threads anymore and prefer to talk nonsense.

Marlene

Like someone else mentioned, my answer is still.... this was more of a discussion. I do have a set price for a certain radius and we have 3 radii that we will go to make it worth our while. However, as you and a few others have missed, I wanted to find out if others are getting their set prices, if they have any or who in their right mind would go do this sh!t for free as you said you know of some.

This was only a discussion to kinda spark some interest in real sign people talking. Evidently some of you are H*llbent on just crushing any sign talk threads anymore and prefer to talk nonsense.

yes we get our price for a survey when it is done with a customer and yes there are a ton of people who will run out and do it for free as they think it is part of doing business. it would be interesting to hear from those people as to why they don't feel like that is a service they can charge for.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
yes we get our price for a survey when it is done with a customer and yes there are a ton of people who will run out and do it for free as they think it is part of doing business. it would be interesting to hear from those people as to why they don't feel like that is a service they can charge for.

Precisely my whole point and the reason for this thread. Nothing more, nothing less. Didn't wanna start a name calling riot for emotional members.