• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

does anyone know how to make a font?

adkmaid

i have been drawing some of my own letters for years but some of them just keep reoccuring and was wondering what the process is to change my hand drawn letters into a font that i can just pick off the list. can anyone explain the computer mumbojumbo i have to do to do this?

Mosh

SignLab has a font creator. I have used it to make a couple of fonds.
It is alot of work to get all of the kerning correct.

phototec

G o o g l e

I think it's just amazing how many people don't use GOOGLE first, whenever they want to know about something!

Google is a great search engine, latest statistics says it has 80% of the of the US market, I use it several times everyday!

Pat Whatley

Steve makes fonts...

Otherwise, start here: http://tinyurl.com/37svf3d

Dude, don't be a dick.

I went through this last winter when I started working on a Copperplate Black font that I couldn't find anywhere. The font is created I just haven't found the 15 hours to define the kerning pairs yet.

Here's what I found:

There is a way to do it through Corel Draw but from what I remember about trying it setting the kerning pairs was tedious and ridiculously difficult.

I've been using Fontographer. It's kind of pricey to start but if you watch ebay older versions pop up every now and then. It's a fairly simple program to learn. Creating the actual font is easy....working out all the spacing and kerning issues is where your time is going to be spent.

High Logic makes a Font Creator program that works very well too. It runs about $80.

Fontstruct has a freeware creator but I don't know squat about it.

Chank Fonts has a styep by step tutorial... http://www.chank.net/howto/

....and youtube has a bunch of videos.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Dude, don't be a dick.

I went through this last winter when I started working on a Copperplate Black font that I couldn't find anywhere. The font is created I just haven't found the 15 hours to define the kerning pairs yet.

Here's what I found:

There is a way to do it through Corel Draw but from what I remember about trying it setting the kerning pairs was tedious and ridiculously difficult.

I've been using Fontographer. It's kind of pricey to start but if you watch ebay older versions pop up every now and then. It's a fairly simple program to learn. Creating the actual font is easy....working out all the spacing and kerning issues is where your time is going to be spent.

High Logic makes a Font Creator program that works very well too. It runs about $80.

Fontstruct has a freeware creator but I don't know squat about it.

Chank Fonts has a styep by step tutorial... http://www.chank.net/howto/

....and youtube has a bunch of videos.

You can often save a ton of time with spacing and kerning pairs by importing that data from a similar font.

Travis Stanley

Check out Chuck Davis on Letter head fonts he has some video tuts on font design In the tutorial section. Mostly Photoshop and a few with Corel.

Pat Whatley

Yeah, that's what I hear....lol. I haven't figured out how to do that yet, either. One of these days work will slow down and I can get on that. The letters are so bold they can really only be used as a main copy font so I just type them in then kern them manually.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yeah, that's what I hear....lol. I haven't figured out how to do that yet, either. One of these days work will slow down and I can get on that. The letters are so bold they can really only be used as a main copy font so I just type them in then kern them manually.

It's a straight menu command in Fontographer. It's particularly easy if you have a Type One version font which has a separate file for the font metrics with either an .AFM or a .PFM extension. You can generate one from Fontographer by opening the font with the metrics you want and then generating it as a Type One font. Then just import it into the font you're creating.

jiarby

Dude, don't be a dick.

I don't think I was being a dick... He asked for information and I suggested a user here that does what he wants and then also provided a link where the OP could get alot more information about the topic he is interested in.

Maybe I was a little sarcastic using the lmgtfy link, but I hate it when people expect everyone else to spoon feed them information without themselves even taking the most rudimetary steps towards doing their own research. It was a subtle jab, but not worth of being called a dick. THIS would be "dick" worthy

They want us to waste our time telling them what they want to know so they do not have to burn any of their own calories looking it up.

adkmaid

:omg:geeeez have i got horns growing out my damn head here? I know i didnt start this font thread with "Wait a Minute....". Sure i could Google it but I thought that maybe I would get better info here rather than getting so sidetracked that i never actually find what i am looking for. (I have the attention span of an ADHD Adolesent, on the internet ) Yes i remember the font creator in SignLab but remember me???? the girl who lost her dongle, my signlab 8 is laying dormant. (still looking for an unwanted dongle somewhere) I will try out the links all of you provided and start there, especially with Letterheads because i have bought fonts from them before. thank you.
As far as being "spoonfed", really?????? I have been doing this sign crap since 1972 I didnt just fall off the damn apple cart and come up with a Walmart criscut and claim "i am a professional sign maker".:tongue:

Bigdawg

Just Me
Robin - we are apparently a rabid bunch here... always honing in for the kill...

some people are just way too quick to ASSume that you are an idiot who can't find anything on her own and want us to baby you along.

can't we all just hold hands and sing kum-by-ya? Maybe right before we sacrifice the next newbie victim???

Craig Sjoquist

lol give em hell Adkmaid it was a good question and Google would have given you a thousand answers but here you hopefully bring it down to a half dozen good ones and it worked I also would like to use some of my hand painted fonts I do and make them a font to choose from some have done there own off what I have lettered with a brush.

adkmaid

sheeesh is right!!!! :omg: freakin' mmmmeeeeeooooowwww hiss hiss. bigdawg i am getting use to this skin is growing thicker by the day, LOL
The font i want to create is a birch log stick like font that is soooooooo much more detailed than what is out there its gonna be a challange but i know i can pull it off. In the Adirondacks there is a huge call for this damn font that doesnt exist all the ones out there just dont cut it in my book i always wind up drawing and scanning to do what i want. so thought i would make my own. maybe call it "ADKMAIDTHIS" LOL:ROFLMAO::clapping: