• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does Anyone Know The Pros And Cons Of Mimaki Cjv150 And Cjv300 Series?

Catherineeee

does anyone know the pros and cons of mimaki cjv150 and cjv300 series?

also, is it compatible with other rips aside from rastek link. if so, any comments on the other rips?

Thanks in advance.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
does anyone know the pros and cons of mimaki cjv150 and cjv300 series?

also, is it compatible with other rips aside from rastek link. if so, any comments on the other rips?

Thanks in advance.

They are the exact same machine except the CJV300 has two heads which makes it faster. So the main pro for the CJV300 is it's faster but the con is the maintenance and repair is all doubled. The 300 does come standard with the bulk system where the 150 does not.

They both can run on most modern RIPs. You may have to upgrade if you already have a RIP due to these models being the newest model.

Catherineeee

They are the exact same machine except the CJV300 has two heads which makes it faster. So the main pro for the CJV300 is it's faster but the con is the maintenance and repair is all doubled. The 300 does come standard with the bulk system where the 150 does not.

They both can run on most modern RIPs. You may have to upgrade if you already have a RIP due to these models being the newest model.
thanks for the reply vanderj. but since both models can run on modern rips, was there any issues or restrictions using those modern rips? would you know what are those rips compatible for both models?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
thanks for the reply vanderj. but since both models can run on modern rips, was there any issues or restrictions using those modern rips? would you know what are those rips compatible for both models?

The Mimaki driver tells the RIP what kind of features it has so pretty much any RIP should work. A couple examples that I know work for sure are, Flexi, Onyx and Wasatch.

tdupster

The Mimaki driver tells the RIP what kind of features it has so pretty much any RIP should work. A couple examples that I know work for sure are, Flexi, Onyx and Wasatch.
Vander is right the driver tells the RIP what to do. I looked into the CJV 300... But the extra cost didn't make much sense for us. (as we are just staring out in the business) so we went for a CJV 150-160 and absolutely love the machine. I've tried the Wasatch software and it works great, but fairly expensive so those extra features. We decided to stick with Rasterlink and works fine and gets the job done. I love the fact that it tells me how much ink is used for each job and the tilling jobs are quite intuitive. I would highly recommend

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Catherineeee

thank you so much for your response. having mentioned the maintenance, how much time do you need for the maintenance in 1 day? does it have extra job to do that spend more time aside from maintenance?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
thank you so much for your response. having mentioned the maintenance, how much time do you need for the maintenance in 1 day? does it have extra job to do that spend more time aside from maintenance?

If you want the head to last a really long time, if you take 5 minutes a day to clean the cap top and wiper, you will be doing more than a lot of my customers. Once a week take a look at the bottom of the head and clean where the cap top meets up if needed. Other than that, keep the machine as dust free as possible.

A lot of my customers only do the maintenance once or twice a week which is fine but I am in the school of thought that if you clean it everyday, you give the maintenance parts the best possible conditions to keep the head clean and unclogged. It's only 5 minutes and a smidge of cleaning solution.

One feature that the Mimaki has that other printers don't is it cleans the pump tubes automatically.

Catherineeee

regarding the pump tubes, does the time for automatically cleaning is included in the 5minutes or its separate?

Does it has to be everyday or you can set it the way i prefer?
Many thanks vander :)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
regarding the pump tubes, does the time for automatically cleaning is included in the 5minutes or its separate?

Does it has to be everyday or you can set it the way i prefer?
Many thanks vander :)

The default setting is every 48 hours but you can change it if you want. It uses a wash solution cartridge which costs about $43 but it takes at least 6 months to use it all. If it's not something you want to use, you can run the machine without it as well.

MixMaker

Mimaki has come a long way with Rasterlink. All new equipment will come with Rasterlink 6 and depending on the ink set that you choose...you'll have access to hundreds of profiles.

Since you mentioned 3rd party RIPs, that's probably the biggest downfall. Very slim on what's available for Onyx and even slimmer if you're leaning away from CMYKx2.

I worked for Mimaki when these products were released (JV150/300, CJV150/300) aligning one print head is much easier than two. So I have seen some complaints about quality being better on the 150, but it was strictly due to the capabilities of the technician that installs the machine.

Besides from the bulk ink, the 300 also features a larger post heater out front since it can print so much faster.

The pump tube feature is really cool as it fills the capping station from the bottom and you don't have to fuss with an eyedropper. However, there is no sensor to let you know when the cartridge is empty. So unless you stay on top of it, I have seen some machines that has the capping station feeding tube clog and the only option is to replace it if you want to continue using this feature. Stay on top of it and you'll be fine.

These new machines were built on the JV33 platform, so it's very well built and very well thought out.

It uses a wash solution cartridge which costs about $43 but it takes at least 6 months to use it all. If it's not something you want to use, you can run the machine without it as well.

I wonder if there's a setting that's off on our machine then. Ours goes through one cartridge about every three months tops. Probably less time than that. Ours was a demo unit from our supplier, so I wonder if they perhaps changed the default settings?

Vander is right the driver tells the RIP what to do. I looked into the CJV 300... But the extra cost didn't make much sense for us. (as we are just staring out in the business) so we went for a CJV 150-160 and absolutely love the machine. I've tried the Wasatch software and it works great, but fairly expensive so those extra features. We decided to stick with Rasterlink and works fine and gets the job done. I love the fact that it tells me how much ink is used for each job and the tilling jobs are quite intuitive. I would highly recommend

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Don't fall for the ink estimator, it's way off - you need to double that to get the actual ink consumed just like the print time estimator - you need to double that too.

equippaint

We have had a cjv150 for a little over a year without any problems knock on wood. Id like a jv300 but after my roland, I really didnt want the hassle of dealing with alignment on a dual head machine. The display will give you periodic reminders to check the wash fluid.
This is bad but we dont clean ours well, maybe once every couple weeks. We had to stay on top of our roland more. I would purchase another mimaki without hesitation. If reviews are good on the ucjv, that may be our next addition.