• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does illy have an artboard limitation?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
[FONT=&quot]I'm designing a tradeshow display at full scale in Corel X7. Size with crop marks is 221"w x 108"h. When I make a pdf for the third party they inform me that the file comes in at 200"w x ....
I figured they're probably using adobe.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sure enough when I open the pdf in illy it's cutting it off. I try to create a new oversized doc to place the pdf instead. It pops up telling me the limit is 227.54"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I can import the pdf back into coreldraw with no problems. I'm going to scale it 50% then make the pdf but....

Another annoyance is anything that's powerclipped or clipping mask in adobe twill extract and be outside. [/FONT]

myront

CorelDRAW is best
The 200" PDF limitation is a Corel issue, not anything related to Adobe...

It's not a Corel limitation. It imports back into Corel with no problems.
Scaling 50% smaller solved part of my issues. I had to use a combination of Acrobat Pro and illy to get it straightened out!

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
You just have to design in scale. I think there is a math issue relating to the differences in max art board size between CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator (1800" X 1800" max for Corel; 227" X 227" for Illustrator). Illustrator can numerically size and position objects to 4 decimals points whereas Corel only goes out to 3 (example. 45.1875" versus 45.187"). Illustrator can numerically define color percentages out to 2 decimals points whereas Corel only supports whole numbers. BTW, in CorelDRAW I rarely work on anything larger than a 1000" X 1000" art board (usually for holding something like a full size building elevation). Too often if I zoom out to see the entire art board I get that annoying warning about the zoom reaching the maximum boundaries and yadda yadda yadda.

There's lots of different pros and cons between the two rivals. What makes it worse is both suck at saving to or opening art from the rival application. I end up needing both on my machine to be able to accurately work with customer provided art files.

Regarding PDFs of artwork set at large sizes, I occasionally run into problems trying to output PDFs from either Illustrator or CorelDRAW at sizes above 150" X 150". PDF just isn't very dependable for large scale things. If I have to give a service bureau some large artwork I'll either give them a full size CorelDRAW .CDR file (if they can handle it) or give them an Illustrator .AI file with the artwork set at some sort of scale if needed.