• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does Static Cling Expire?

garisimo

I have a roll of Static Cling media that I purchased in March, 2013. When I used it then (on a DC4sx), it printed beautifully, with a low density setting (11000). Today, I tried to print on it using the same settings (I have a User Configuration just for Static) and it was a disaster (take a look at the attached photo). I bumped the density twice (first 12500, then 13500), with not much better results. Is there something that happens to a roll of cling that causes it to degrade over time? FWIW, this roll was kept in a climate controlled environment. Thanks for any insights on this puzzler.

Gmo

attachment.php

Attachments

• SummaStatic.jpg
    SummaStatic.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 183

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Is the roll exposed to fluorescent light? Any static film I've ever used as has a exterior life of less than a year. It turns yellow-brown and hardens up. There would be a similar but slower effect from the UV of fluorescent lights which would almost certainly affect the ability to accept a print transfer.

bulldozer

same thing happened to me. we had about 3/4 of a roll left from about 8 months before, and it looked like hell when i tried to print on it. i think it has relatively low shelf life.

Jackpine

Phototex sells glass adhere, a micro suction for glass and other hard smooth surfaces. It prints very well in solvent and cut easily. It
is a good product. Walter will send you a sample to print.

I had the same problem with a roll of static cling from Summa, called them up and they said it needs to be used in 6 months or less. I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and a micro fiber and it worked just fine. Just make sure you clean the entire print area.

garisimo

Okay, good to know that others have had similar issues (I was thinking that I had somehow changed a setting in the User Config). I'll try the rubbing alcohol cleaning and see if that helps. We print so few cling jobs. Next person who orders it might have to buy the whole roll. Summa should indicate that the product has a shelf life, though. Argh.

-g-

TheSnowman

This kind of surprises me. I bought some clear static cling like 8 years ago not knowing what the heck I was going to do with it (think I needed a little for one project and basically used a foot, and had the entire roll left) and I printed on it this spring without any issues. Mine weren't solid print, they were just text for park passes, but still, it printed and cut no problem.