• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Dome stickers losing color?

Riskok

Hello guys

This is so strange. I have sold a lot of dome stickers but this time they are losing color and not just during a year or two but in weeks. Can anyone tell me why? I´m not the one producing them and they say that they have been produced according to all standards etc.

Many thanks for all tips and tricks!

Attachments

• dome.jpg
    dome.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 278

Riskok

Wow that's very strange. I would guess they're possibly using water based inks or the resin has somehow reacted with the ink?

Either way it's unusual. Even if printed with a water based ink you would think the doming resin would provide some UV protection.

The supplier has seen that picture and stands by the fact that the process is identical? I'd say someone down the line is making things up.

Yes it feels rely rely strange. Does any one know how to test dome stickers rely hard? Whit like a UV light or something else?

letterman7

Unless you have a lab that can do accelerated environmental testing, your testing is done in the field. I tend to agree with RJ that the resin is interacting with the inks (personally, I like the darker look though :)). In any case, I've got a domed decal I did on my truck as a test bed.. been there four years and it still looks the same. Surface is a little more dull, but that's expected.

Signs 'n' Stuff

Hi Riskok
There is a hint in the photo. At the edge where the dome resin is not as thick as the rest of the sticker
the orange colour has not faded as much. that would indicate that it is the resin has reacted with the ink ( where it is thinner there is less reaction) so the things to look at are:
  • has there been enough dry time of the print prior to doming.
  • is it only one batch
  • has the resin been mixed accurately and correctly
  • is there a standing time required for the resin prior to pouring that was missed
Good luck from Australia
Brett

petepaz

i don't have an exact reason but you are correct that the resin has had an adverse reaction with the ink. we have had different things happen over the years with dome labels. for the most part they are ok but we have had a resin that turned yellowish over time. we have had a faded color like that (that was with an epson desktop inkjet printer so assuming water based ink) and i have had the dome pull off from the label when i domed uv printed labels. since the uv ink doesn't penetrate the material the resin caused it to delaminate. that's the only one i had an answer for, sorry

Riskok

Hi Riskok
There is a hint in the photo. At the edge where the dome resin is not as thick as the rest of the sticker
the orange colour has not faded as much. that would indicate that it is the resin has reacted with the ink ( where it is thinner there is less reaction) so the things to look at are:
  • has there been enough dry time of the print prior to doming.
  • is it only one batch
  • has the resin been mixed accurately and correctly
  • is there a standing time required for the resin prior to pouring that was missed
Good luck from Australia
Brett

i don't have an exact reason but you are correct that the resin has had an adverse reaction with the ink. we have had different things happen over the years with dome labels. for the most part they are ok but we have had a resin that turned yellowish over time. we have had a faded color like that (that was with an epson desktop inkjet printer so assuming water based ink) and i have had the dome pull off from the label when i domed uv printed labels. since the uv ink doesn't penetrate the material the resin caused it to delaminate. that's the only one i had an answer for, sorry

Many thanks to both of you for the help! I will try and figure out what happened here because its rely strange that it did happen in the first place.

BR Patrik

petepaz

do you do the doming your self or sub it out?
we use a company called development assoc. if its a large order (more than 50-100 pc ) we sub it out to them but they also offer a dome at home kit which we use for smaller orders or for rush orders to get a partial out. we have never had any issues with the doming they use or their home kit other than the uv ink problem.

Riskok

do you do the doming your self or sub it out?
we use a company called development assoc. if its a large order (more than 50-100 pc ) we sub it out to them but they also offer a dome at home kit which we use for smaller orders or for rush orders to get a partial out. we have never had any issues with the doming they use or their home kit other than the uv ink problem.

Like you I do both. This time it was alot so you need the big machines. I did alot of diffrent ones but I think this is the only one doing this so it must be the epoxy.

petepaz

Like you I do both. This time it was alot so you need the big machines. I did alot of diffrent ones but I think this is the only one doing this so it must be the epoxy.
just to clarify when the uv printed labels peeled from the doming it was a pull in coverage so there was nothing for the epoxy to bit in to bu the ink so it pulled away from the material.
if you are just doing a label with some text it shouldn't be a problem
\
development associates does a good job with their doming and not expensive.
we print the labels, ship to them and they ship back when done. and i think the kit i use in house cost like $100 to start and then the cart.s are like $15 each after that