• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Doming

rjssigns

Dumb question of the day. Has anybody tried automotive urethane clear coat for doming? It would not yellow and would give UV protection to the labels. Would only have to add hardener so it stays viscous. Only need to mix what I need for a job with little waste. Just typing out loud here since there are some projects I want to try.

My regular doming product is 40 bucks a tube and once it's opened goes bad rapidly.

petepaz

sorry can't answer your question but we get the doming from these guys and I have had it as long as a year with out it going bad. http://rdsacuflow.com/acudome/ if we have a big job (more than 25-50 pc depending on the size) then I will send it to development assoc. they have good pricing and decent turn around. they can also do the printing if need be. http://www.daius.com/

rjssigns

Ha, small world. I've been getting carts from Development Assoc. Stuff isn't cheap and I hate popping the seal if I can't use every drop. That's why I posed the clear coat question. I'll check RDS.
Looks like I'll have to play mad "signtist" with my idea. Could be a major headache though.

letterman7

You may find two things that may happen with the urethane clear coats: first, it'll attack your inks and second, it'll eat the vinyl. I've sprayed urethane clears on really large prints (larger than my laminating clear roll) and had to be really careful about how hard I hit it. I would dust a couple coats, then hit the heavy layer. Anything else tore up the ink and/or vinyl (using 3M 180j).

woolly

Your clear coat will give a good finish but will not give the high build of doming resin.
If you try the car clear then spray before weeding. If thick coat weed while still wet.
Too much thinners and the decal will curl

petepaz

Ha, small world. I've been getting carts from Development Assoc. Stuff isn't cheap and I hate popping the seal if I can't use every drop. That's why I posed the clear coat question. I'll check RDS.
Looks like I'll have to play mad "signtist" with my idea. Could be a major headache though.
been dealing with development for years but only with sub contract work never got the kit from them. the RDS kit is affordable and does the trick with small orders. I think 10 - 50g cart.s are like $90. the starter kit is the best way to go first to make sure you like it. I think that is like $100. we get a lot of orders for 100, 250 & 500 domed nameplates so development takes care of those for us.

rjssigns

been dealing with development for years but only with sub contract work never got the kit from them. the RDS kit is affordable and does the trick with small orders. I think 10 - 50g cart.s are like $90. the starter kit is the best way to go first to make sure you like it. I think that is like $100. we get a lot of orders for 100, 250 & 500 domed nameplates so development takes care of those for us.

Any issues with the RDS yellowing outdoors? I do some restoration work on boats and can't afford call backs.

rjssigns

Thanks for the input Letterman7 and Woolly. I figured the reducer will eat the vinyl so I wouldn't add any. Just hardener/activator. Would probably still have solvent pop issues if I tried to dome.

petepaz

Any issues with the RDS yellowing outdoors? I do some restoration work on boats and can't afford call backs.
I have been using it for about 5 years now and no complaints. some are used outdoors some are not. I have some nameplates that go on industrial torque wrenches they are out in the field and get a lot of abuse. as far as the boats not sure. maybe call RDS and ask them. I know they do say you can use it for auto graphics so I would assume it's ok. (that's how I found them. saw them at a trade show and they were doing samples of cut vinyl letters and doming them for cars)