• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Don't be the guy who left the "l" out of the sign for Public Affairs. Spelling Counts!

Tfloraditch

Hello everyone,

I am rather new to this site but have 30 years in the sign business. I have been reading posts on the forums and thought it would be appreciated if I suggested you all get the FREE Grammarly application added to your computers. It checks your spelling and Grammer as you are typing and works in your emails, forum posts and letters to customers. www.grammarly.com

In a business like ours, you would think that a sign maker would be a good speller, but that just isn't true. I don't mean to offend anyone but this FREE application will save you from some embarrassment that you likely don't even know you are suffering. Most customers will not mention it, they will either go elsewhere or cringe and hope for the best.

89dbdeda93748a1ab8b4e3cf292e45c2.jpg

Last edited:

ams

guinea pig? Hmm sounds like it's untested and you need people to risk trying it. Could it do more to you instead of for you?

Tfloraditch

That is a very good question. As with any software on your computer, it is very hard to know what is going on in the background, so I can't promise you anything on that topic. However, I would bet most people on this site have accepted the terms and conditions of their software without reading much of it.

I can tell you that as a successful graduate student I do a lot of writing and I use it all the time. Yes, it does not check your URLs but it would have helped the guy doing signs for the Department of Public Affairs. It will tell you when you have left out commas or incorrect verb tenses that change the meaning of your sentence and more than 90% of the mistakes I have seen on posts on this site.

All of you can get offended and ignore me if you want to, but you likely don't realize what you have overlooked when emailing customers. Your customers probably didn't overlook it.

Even with 30 years as a sign maker, I have learned a lot from all of you just reading posts and I felt this was a good way that I could return the favor. I am very sorry if I offended anyone.

Tim