Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't lose his phone number.

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by threeputt, Nov 7, 2012.

1. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Had a woman call the shop yesterday. Wanted a price on a 28"x28" sign for a garage sale of some sort.

Said it must be waterproof for outside usage. Emphasized that twice.

After talking about it for a minute, I told her we could do something for the sum of $56.00. A quickie.

She then said "what, that's way high! I've already gotten a price of ten dollars".

I said,"really?" She confirmed the price again, and all I could think to say was, "don't lose that guy's phone number".

I guess it was kind of a "flip" thing to say, but it just popped out.

Why was she still shopping around? Maybe get it for nine dollars?

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    lol, classic!

should have told her you could do it for $9, but due to other jobs, you wouldn't be able to get to it untill the morning that she needs it.

When she comes to pick it up, tell her someone came in and offered you $12 for the sign, so you sold it to him instead.

3. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    :U Rock::goodpost:

next time get his #, then you can outsource and rake in the $$$

or better yet buy one of those signs and see what a 28x28 waterproof sign is

4. john1

john1 Guest

Not even worth your time, $10...ha!

Had a lady call earlier wanting yard signs for this weekend, I got all excited then she said "I need 4". Gave her a price of $25 each, She said "your cheaper then signs by tomorrow but im going to call around"

lol

5. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Are you'ze mocking my clientele?

6. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    You know, what's funny is people will call and want say, six 18"x24" coro signs. I'll tell them the "each" price and they kinda faint.

Then I tell them I can make (30) of them (our minimum for screenprint) for about a fifty bucks more.

That really get's them scratching their heads.

Wait, wait for it.....

"But I only need six, what would I do with thirty?"

It's your call on that pal, but to be honest with you, we have several sign-making methods here (digital print, screenprint, cut vinyl) and one of them produces a low per-unit cost once certain criterias are met.

7. VolunteerSign

VolunteerSign Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Unfortunately I have been guilty of telling some "customers" what they could do with the "other 24" signs

8. Edna

Edna Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Then why not sell them just 6? I can't figure that out. If 30 is $X why now sell them 6 for the 30 price. Am i missing something?

9. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    screenprinting is not for low quantity.

10. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Because the conversation inevitably goes like this:

Customer: I need five signs.

Me: Well, five signs are $25 each but if you order 20 signs the price goes down to $7 each so for $15 more you're getting 15 more signs.

Customer: Yeah, let me just get the five signs.

Me: Sure, no problem. That makes your total $125, I just need to get a 50% deposit.

Customer: What? you just said that it was only $15 for 15 signs!

Me: (spend way too much time trying to explain how pricing works)

Customer: Whatever. Just give me the five signs.

Me: Sure, no problem. That makes your total $125, I just need to get a 50% deposit.

Customer: $125?! You said they were $7 each!

Me: (bang head on counter)

11. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

Crayola on wet strength card board....

12. GypsyGraphics

GypsyGraphics Major Contributor

Mar 19, 2009
    LOVE IT!!! :clapping:

13. FireSprint

FireSprint Very Active Member

When we did a ton of retail signs we inevitably got calls just like this one. We kept coro blanks and giant sharpie markers around just for this.

3 12x18" Blanks, 3 15" Wire Frames and a big marker for $15. $5 a sign and they are weather resistant.

Obviously this isn't a product line everyone wants to carry, but you never know what may come of it. It allows you to give a [low] paying customer a legitimate option instead of the finger.

14. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    i'm now consdering to just remove the blade from my plotter, stick a marker in, and a piece of coro and draw it out and the customer can color it like a coloring book...

15. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    Made it easy on ourselves and our customers. We sell them in multiples of 10 for $8 each. ANY amount below 10 is $25 each. I simply tell them they are made on a 4'x8' sheet then cut down and that it's not cost effective to make them one at a time. We don't even offer die-cut coro or banners. I tell them Full color is the same price as one color so they might as well make them really nice looking.

16. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    Ok five signs are $25 each, is that 1-side or 2-sided signs, and if not 2-sided, how much for five 2-sided signs?

:help

17. fixtureman

fixtureman Member

May 16, 2012
    Medina Ohio

I would say OK i;ll take all 20 but only print 5

18. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    +1