• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Door Hanger Punch?

Digital_Insight

Hello all

Looking for some advice

We do all types of printing, but lately getting A LOT of requests for "Door Hangers"

Printing and cutting them is no problem, BUT we do not have a die cutter or a large paper drill.

Having to outsource the "paper punch" part of the job.

No huge issue, but it slows us down.

Looking for some recs on a good option for punching the hole into the door hangers.

Average job is about 2000 - 5000 pieces

Size is an issue, as I would prefer a smaller machine that is not going to eat up a tremendous amount of floor space.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

sales @ digitalinsightprinting.com

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
A steel rule die and a manual arbor press is just about a cheap as you can get. I would say you can get set up for less than $350 which includes making a home made locating fixture.

JB

Digital_Insight

Thanks for the quick reply James.

Question: Typical size for door hangers is 4x9

We print them on 12 point card stock - approx 300 gsm

We would cut them down to finished size before die cutting

With your suggested method, how many cards would you guess we would be able to "punch" in 1 pass / stack ?

Just trying to get my head around completion times.

Thx much,

Rob

slopoke

Try your local finishing/bindery places. Most have a standard die for 2up door hangers so all you have to pay for is setup and punching. It usually runs around 75/per 1M in my area.

Digital_Insight

Hi Slo,

Yes, that is what I am doing now

Sending them out for "punch"

Problem is, it's a hassle and it takes too much extra time.

Need to bring it "in house"

Thx

Rob

300mphGraphics

Easiest would be a handfed Chandler and Price or C&P letterpress. You can find several on: http://www.briarpress.org/classifieds

I'm in Northern AZ and getting rid of my old Miehle press I was going to set up for die-cutting. Don't print the project any more that I bought the machine for. It runs, but needs a cutting jacket and a few other small parts, but it ran when I bought it. Free if you want it. I'm just going to drag it off for scrap. Here is a similar model on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkstVZ3ysMQ&feature=related

Digital_Insight

Thanks 300MPh,

Yes - I am interested in your offer.

Would be happy to give you some $$ for the machine.

Can you shoot me an email?

sales @ digitalinsightprinting.com

Thx

Rob

Digital_Insight

Hello Royster,

Yes - we actually do quite well printing / selling door hangers.

We run a Xerox 5000AP Digital Press.

After paper costs and click charges, there are still a few bucks to be made.

:)

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Thanks for the quick reply James.

Question: Typical size for door hangers is 4x9

We print them on 12 point card stock - approx 300 gsm

We would cut them down to finished size before die cutting

With your suggested method, how many cards would you guess we would be able to "punch" in 1 pass / stack ?

Just trying to get my head around completion times.

Thx much, Rob

You'll only be able to do one at a time this way, unless you use a bigger press and do a two-up or four-up die.

JB