• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Draw X7 format save question..

Bellicose

Hi all, wondering if anyone can help.

Does 'CorelDRAW X7 Home and student version' save in *PLT format.

I'm using Inkscape to design and have a Refine MH721 using (crappy supplied) Artcut to cut BUT Artcut only recognizes *PLT format.

Now, I downloaded the CorelDRAW X7 trial and it is now finished and am going to buy CorelDRAW X7 'Home & student version ($149 nzd as opposed to $900 nzd for full version)

My issue is Inkscape won't save in *PLT using Windows (not supported apparently) but CorelDRAW X7 does.

So what i do (did in X7 trial version) was this:

Design in Inkscape - Save as SVG - open in CorelDRAW - re-save as *PLT - open in Artcut - send to cutter.

I know it's a process but i don't really mind, i'm not a professional, i just use the cutter for making stencils and masks for my air brushing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Either I'm still half asleep or you answered your own question.

Edit: Nevermind. I guess you're asking if the home and student version will allow you to save to the same format as the trial version. See, I was still half asleep.

WildWestDesigns

My issue is Inkscape won't save in *PLT using Windows (not supported apparently) but CorelDRAW X7 does.

What version of Inkscape are your using?

I see PLT on my version, unless there is a different PLT extension that you need.

Attachments

• Inkscape PLT.JPG
    Inkscape PLT.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 162

WildWestDesigns

INKSCAPE is so "clunky" compared to corel..any version, if you have corel design in corel)))))

Actually, I have to somewhat disagree here.

In some ways, I do agree that it is "clunky" compared to Ai and/or DRAW, but I would rather use Inkscape instead of DRAW. I prefer Ai over them all, but I tried to force myself to deal with DRAW when it started coming packaged with my digitizing software (be glad that the full version of DRAW doesn't cost as much as my software lists for) and it's to the point that I'll have Inkscape loaded, but I won't have DRAW on the computer even if my digitizing software is loaded on there.

.91 is fairly good (latest version of Inkscape out there, I have the beta version that the screenshot was taken from), but it still doesn't handle layers as well as I would like. Custom brushes etc, but I still would rather deal with it then DRAW. Don't think I'm saying that DRAW isn't a capable package, I'm not saying that at all, but for what is intuitive to me and for my workflow, I would choose Inkscape if I had to choose between that and DRAW.

OldPaint

different strokes fer different folks...........i have tried to use inkscape couple times.....its not great, compared to corel. with time i might be able to use it. been a corel user since version3.0. also i was one of the 1st to use corel as a PLOTTER CUTTING program(1992)to my ROLAND PNC-1000. today i still cut from corel to my CX-300. so i open 1 program to design, manipulate the design, and cut vinyl. or you can do like belicose does "Design in Inkscape - Save as SVG - open in CorelDRAW - re-save as *PLT - open in Artcut - send to cutter." ))))))))))))))))))))))) i have corel X7, but dont like it. still use X3 for most everything.
i have used most sign CAD programs and iam proficient with SIGN WIZARD, SIGN-LAB, FLEXI, PRO-CUT, LETTER ART. iam also a draftsman, can use auto cad for simple stuff. i also have a corel like program called ARTS& LETTERS 8.5. got it for the clipart. but it works like corel. for simple stuff like flyers or calenders i have PRINT ARTIST.........less then $50.00 but can do small stuff great.
i never got the hang of ILLY... it to me is also to redundant like gerbers GA 6.0, wouldnt use it if i got it for free. let alone pay that kinda money for either.)))))
PHOTOSHOP, never seen the need for it as COREL PHOTOPAINT does the same stuff.

WildWestDesigns

so i open 1 program to design, manipulate the design, and cut vinyl. or you can do like belicose does "Design in Inkscape - Save as SVG - open in CorelDRAW - re-save as *PLT - open in Artcut - send to cutter." )))))))))))))))))))))))

You do realize that you can cut directly out of Inkscape? At least I can on my Roland.

Only a handful of times have I used a a dedicated cutting program and that was mainly to have it efficiently order the vector paths for cutting when I didn't want to manipulate it manually through the design program. As with my experience rather it's Ai, Inkscape and/or DRAW, it cuts in the order of object creation (or whatever order you have it in layers (and manipulating layers is where Inkscape falls horribly short, although they have improved with .91, it is still nothing like the other two programs).

Bellicose

Thanks for the replies people. (Would say guys but ya never know who ya talking to on the 'net LOL)

Either I'm still half asleep or you answered your own question.

Edit: Nevermind. I guess you're asking if the home and student version will allow you to save to the same format as the trial version. See, I was still half asleep.

Yep, that's what i was asking in a fuddled up way LOL. Re - reading my post i can see how "messy" it is.

What version of Inkscape are your using?

I see PLT on my version, unless there is a different PLT extension that you need.

I'm using the latest version (.91 I think it is)

Yes my 'save formats bring that up too, but when i try to save as *PLT it gives me another window saying something like 'the uni - converter is missing to do this action'.

So when i researched it it seems the uni - converter needed is not available for Windows systems.

ebay....$70

I'm a little hesitant buying things on ebay as i'm way down here at the bottom of the earth and would have little chance of 'Remedies' if purchase went "tits up" lol.

INKSCAPE is so "clunky" compared to corel..any version, if you have corel design in corel)))))

I actually do like designing in Inkscape, for me it seemed easier than DRAW.

You do realize that you can cut directly out of Inkscape?

Please do tell.

I know there's the 'Inkcut' plug-in BUT that also is not supported for Windows.

WildWestDesigns

I'm using the latest version (.91 I think it is)

Yes my 'save formats bring that up too, but when i try to save as *PLT it gives me another window saying something like 'the uni - converter is missing to do this action'.

So when i researched it it seems the uni - converter needed is not available for Windows systems.

I'll have to check on that next time I'm on that computer. I've never saved to that file format, so I've never seen what it does. Also, since I'm running the beta version (from a few months ago) I would expect there to be some "mishaps", so I probably wouldn't have paid attention to it if something had happened.

Please do tell.

I know there's the 'Inkcut' plug-in BUT that also is not supported for Windows.

Now, this is how I'm able to do it on my Roland, I have no idea about other cutters. I just use the print function from Inkscape and "print" to the cutter. Same like I do with Ai and DRAW (when I did have that installed)

You can also take a look at CoCut and see if the standard or Professional version plugin would work for you in Inkscape. Just depends on how much functionality you need and what version (if any) has your cutter supported.

OldPaint

at the time i tried inkscape.....there was no cutting capability....i see they got something......but getting it installed is a mess. it comes down a a .tgz or something close and zip program wants to compress it....and cant get past that

Bellicose

Now, this is how I'm able to do it on my Roland, I have no idea about other cutters. I just use the print function from Inkscape and "print" to the cutter. Same like I do with Ai and DRAW (when I did have that installed)

Just tried that and wasn't able to "make" my cutter a printer.

I guess these are the trials and tribulations of buying "cheap"