• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dream Shop

dlndesign

If you had a choice of location, equipment, and clients what would your dream shop be like?

I would have a couple UV machines, Latex Printer, Laminator, 60" Plotter, good computers. I'd like to work up in the mountains, near a forest. Maybe my shop may look like a huge log cabin, and I would love to work with outdoor camping equipment clients and hiking enthusiasts things of that nature.

Billct2

A timber frame shop overlooking mountains without a computer or printer in site because my clients (who never bother me or ask for a proof) only want hand made hand lettered signs.

TimToad

A timber frame shop overlooking mountains without a computer or printer in site because my clients (who never bother me or ask for a proof) only want hand made hand lettered signs.

There we go!

I don't get the, a shop full of modern, electricity sucking, chemical based, print/stick only gear up in the mountains catering to "nature" lovers?

In my dream shop, proofs are done on cocktail napkins only and a handshake seals the deal.

visual800

A shop back off the road, where no client comes. I will go to them.all printing is subbed out, I will still fabricate signs. No retail. All high end monuments and dimesnional signage

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would move to British Columbia, Vancouver. That's where my wife wants to settle to in retirement.

The shop would be a little pub, serving all kinds of libations and good treats for our regulars and guests. No televisions on the wall, no gambling or ticket machines and certainly a nice hand made shingle hanging out front. Relaxed atmosphere and just good conversation.

Sign shop ?? You did say 'dream shop'.

:beer:toasting::munchie::bushmill::wine-smi: :Sleeping:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
It would be a three-man shop tucked away in the hills of West Virginia with plenty of room (and work) for the grandchildren. It would have a big black telephone that hangs on the wall and a spindle on the desk for incoming orders. Oh yea...and a shop dog that never grows old.

JB

I would move to British Columbia, Vancouver. That's where my wife wants to settle to in retirement.

The shop would be a little pub, serving all kinds of libations and good treats for our regulars and guests. No televisions on the wall, no gambling or ticket machines and certainly a nice hand made shingle hanging out front. Relaxed atmosphere and just good conversation.

Sign shop ?? You did say 'dream shop'.

:beer:toasting::munchie::bushmill::wine-smi: :Sleeping:

Dream shop, Gino, dream shop. Not a dram shop, buddy.

SignManiac

That's an interesting question that I haven't seen here before. :thumb:

It really makes you look at were you are in terms of goals and where you want grow your business.

I think my dream shop would be:

-10,000sqft (+/-) with dedicated areas for fabrication, vinyl, printing, cnc area, spacious install bay for vehicles, big showroom and reception area, offices, conference room
-a couple of solvent printers
-a couple of UV printers
-a dye sublimation setup
-a flatbed cutter
-a 5x10 cnc for cutting acrylic & dibond
-channel letter bender & equipment (maybe)
-at least one bucket truck
-5-6 reliable employees that know what they're doing and a production manager that can run the show when I'm away

I think that just about sums it up for me. I suppose that's more of a 5 year plan than a dream really... but if money was no object I'm not sure I would do anything differently either.

Looking forward to seeing some of the other responses!

Yep, my dream shop already! Only took me forty years, so a five year plan might be pretty ambitious:) but dreams can come true!

Craig Sjoquist

I already have my dream shop in one of the paradises in the world since there are many places that are paradise

2 story block building tin roof.shop downstairs live upstairs 90% is hand painted or crafted work so costs are low, profits high, just got to do the job & after 39 years fairly easy in fact all my shops have been fairly good in the past mainly because I enjoy this work better then a dozen others tried for awhile.

So what is it ..I wake up being thankful for a awesome day ahead & a good chance for tomorrow everything else is a bonus.

Now if I had more steadier work I could make my dream shop even better.

There again that all rests on me & that is what I like about life, ya have a dream shop in mind it is up to you to create it & ya free to do so.

..Thanks to our veterans & also sign veterans.

artbot

several acres just outside of queretaro, mexico. 10,000 square foot shop that is almost all garage doors all the way around. some specialty product line that is fun to do and a smoking hot woman to spend the days with.

iSign

several acres just outside of queretaro, mexico. 10,000 square foot shop that is almost all garage doors all the way around. some specialty product line that is fun to do and a smoking hot woman to spend the days with.

winning!!

OldPaint

i got mine............built it 2005. and have been adding to it since. insulated 16 ft tall so i never have to worry about hitting the ceiling)))) painted concrete floor so there is no "concrete dust".south facing window 4' tall 12 ft long......plenty of natural light in the PENSACOLA FLORIDA 360 DAYS OF SUNSHINE)))))) 10' X 12' GARAGE DOOR so can get anything inside if needed. 24' x 30' with a 8 X 24' loft on one end total close to a 1000 sq ft. this is my work area no computer, only paint cans and an easle))))))) oh and a kick *** 600 watt stereo))))))))has a 30k gas heater and 25k A/C...........TV......if needed.

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 153
  • pottery 063.jpg
    pottery 063.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 125

phototec

i got mine............built it 2005. and have been adding to it since. insulated 16 ft tall so i never have to worry about hitting the ceiling)))) painted concrete floor so there is no "concrete dust".south facing window 4' tall 12 ft long......plenty of natural light in the PENSACOLA FLORIDA 360 DAYS OF SUNSHINE)))))) 10' X 12' GARAGE DOOR so can get anything inside if needed. 24' x 30' with a 8 X 24' loft on one end total close to a 1000 sq ft. this is my work area no computer, only paint cans and an easle))))))) oh and a kick *** 600 watt stereo))))))))has a 30k gas heater and 25k A/C...........TV......if needed.

Hey nice shop are, that's giving me some ideas............:thumb:

OldPaint

thanks..........anything i can help you with just ask.
i worked as a BULTLER METAL BUILDING draftsman. so thats why i went with a metal building, i have put many up. so it was a no brainer for me to erect this by myself. also knowing about metal buildings.........was smart enough to know to NOT PUT ANY LIGHT PANELS in the roof))))) roof is to keep water out, the less seams... the less chance of leaks. also i have door opening on all 4 walls.
metal buildings without good ventilation........are "saunas."
i put in a 25k window a/c and the 30k heater. running either makes it very comfortable. the floor is a little extra thick 6" so it dont cool the building. 56 inch fan........moves air down.......its on low most of the time.....

Attachments

• pottery 062.jpg
    pottery 062.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 198
  • COREL 014.jpg
    COREL 014.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 136
  • pottery 127s.jpg
    pottery 127s.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 143

Marlene

my dream shop would be in a super cool RV that I could start up and drive when the weather sucked or the customers were pains.

artbot

i actually had the dream shop a year ago in a partnership. 33,000 square feet, 16x20 vacuum former, 5x10 cnc, CET flatbed, the list goes on and on with six employees. but it was not a dream. if you've worked for yourself your whole life then give the reigns to a few people that think they've "bought you".... you'll be "dreaming" of any shop anywhere at any level of business. the real dream is to own your day and your dignity.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Last I heard, that's what Edna was doing..... touring the reddish southwest in an old hippie green bus with a 4b hanging off the back. I think Shirley Jones was the driver and Danny Bonaduce was riding shotgun. Teal. :omg:

OldPaint

here marlene........i still have this one))))) sittin the woods))))

Attachments

• shop tk.jpg
    shop tk.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 99

Z SIGNS

I already have the shop I dreamed of.

Now I dream about the old days when I had a 15x20 garage and a few hand tools.

Sometimes wish I could go back to that.

synergy_jim

20,000 square feet on the hill behind my house. I'd sell the UV printer and have 2 CNC routers and my Roland. Everything we did would be 3D signage and we'd turn almost everything else down.