• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dual purpose PCI express card source anyone?

SignManiac

I have 3 PCI slots in my computer. Two are for the dual graphics cards and I'm currently using the last slot for a USB 3.0 card that my external back ups are connected to. Now with the SSD up and running I'm going to have to pull the USB card to replace it with a PCI express SSD card to take full advantage of the 6GB speeds. I believe the best I can get now is 3GB speeds.

Do any manufactures make a dual purpose PCI card that has a controller interface and a USB 3.0 port on the same card? I've looked but haven't found one yet. Is this even possible?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Unfortunatley that is not what you want. That is an x1 card. A PCIe X1 slot does not have the bandwidth (x1 maxes out at 400mb) to support the SATA-3 speeds that the SSD will be going at plus it will at times be trying to share speed with a USB 3.0 device.... Not going to pan out. Also the reviews on that card are terrible. The Syba brand card that I got requires a PCIe x4 slot. Syba does have a combo card but the reviews are also hit and miss.

http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1397

It uses some obscure x1 based chip for each of the functions. The other card I got used a Marvell chipset. Still not going to get 500+ speeds unless we go to higher end SATA-3 controller.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
That one might also work. I'm using the same slot you have available as well..... the x8 (wired as x4) slot. I'll have to read up on this card. Might be a nice way to add USB 3.0 to mine too. :)

How about this one? Also, the back up drive only runs at night when I'm not using the computer.

This is the slot that I have if that helps. PCI Express x8 card slot, wired as x4 (SLOT1_PCIE)

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-U3S6-True-Support-Motherboard/dp/B002VVQ58M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397677911&sr=1-1&keywords=combo+usb+3.0+and+ssd+controller