• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Durability of Dark vs Light Prints

megafonico

Hello Sign Gang,

I will be replacing some five or six signs for a Medical Office on the next couple of weeks.
This will be printed by EcoSolvent on ORAJET 3165RA and laminated using ORAGUARD 210.

The signs are all facing west so they will get a fair amount of sunlight from noon to sunset.

From a pure durability point of view and everything else been equal, we are trying to decide if we should to White logos/lettering on black background or Black logos/lettering on white background.

I appreciate all input.

unclebun

If it's really white on black or black on white, and UV durability is the concern, use cut high performance vinyl, not a print. Even as the vinyl dies, the sign will read better than a print that is dying.

megafonico

Durability is not the main concern and their logos do not lend very well to cut vinyl.
They are prepared to replace signs after a few years, but if they will be extending the life of the print by going with one color combination over the other they will gladly do so.