• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Durable outdoor banner material - or mesh banner?

theartdept

I have a customer who has had vinyl banners about 15' x 4' installed by driving 3 of those green metal stakes into the ground and attaching with cord through grommets.

They put these out in a place that gets quite a bit of wind, and the banners are torn apart within a few weeks.

They are looking for something more durable, but it needs to be something they can remove and replace with different messages - and it can't be a permanent fixture per city ordinances.

They are going to install some permanent poles (that should not get the city angry) and want to have banners to tie up between them.

But they want something that will last for 2-3 months out in the wind, and to be able to put them away and reuse them later.

I know about, but not have yet used, mesh banner. I understand this should get rid of a lot of the wind problem - but I'm curious if they last a lot longer.

Or if there is a better solution than 13oz banner, I'd really appreciate ya'll giving me some advice. Thanks!!

J Hill Designs

I have a customer who has had vinyl banners about 15' x 4' installed by driving 3 of those green metal stakes into the ground and attaching with cord through grommets.

They put these out in a place that gets quite a bit of wind, and the banners are torn apart within a few weeks.

They are looking for something more durable, but it needs to be something they can remove and replace with different messages - and it can't be a permanent fixture per city ordinances.

They are going to install some permanent poles (that should not get the city angry) and want to have banners to tie up between them.

But they want something that will last for 2-3 months out in the wind, and to be able to put them away and reuse them later.

I know about, but not have yet used, mesh banner. I understand this should get rid of a lot of the wind problem - but I'm curious if they last a lot longer.

Or if there is a better solution than 13oz banner, I'd really appreciate ya'll giving me some advice. Thanks!!

18oz would be better. using bungies would help. mesh would also help.

Andy D

I think Mesh with a combo of the two top install methods is the best option.

attachment.php

Attachments

• banner installl.jpg
    banner installl.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 318

TXFB.INS

whatever process you use, the key point is to get and keep the banner material taught.
the "wind whip" by having loose material is what causes the damage

ReyJ

We often do large outside banners. What we found works best is using a mesh material, reinforcing the hem with webbing and using banner springs.
Banner springs have become a godsend and have worked great with our outside banners. They allows a little give.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
18oz would be better. using bungies would help. mesh would also help.

Material weight is nothing more that the weight of one square yard of material. It says nothing about strength and durability. Just the weight of the material. For strength and durability thread count, denier, etc. must be considered. These have little or nothing to do with how much the material weighs.

J Hill Designs

Material weight is nothing more that the weight of one square yard of material. It says nothing about strength and durability. Just the weight of the material. For strength and durability thread count, denier, etc. must be considered. These have little or nothing to do with how much the material weighs.

one could posit the that weight is directly proportional to the thread count etc

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
one could posit the that weight is directly proportional to the thread count etc

You could equally pose that weight is a function of the various signs of the zodiac. Neither proposition would be true.

Disproving your proposition; there is 10oz material with high thread count and denier and there is 18oz with low thread count and denier. The point being that material weight is no indicator of strength and/or durability.