• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DX4 Printhead from China

reQ

After thinking for a while about keeping older printer as a back up, i think i will do it. Would have to replace 1 print head there, just because few CYAN nozzles are not firing. Just wondering, did anyone recently or at all got a dx4 head from china & how did it work/what experience you had.

Also, how hard is it to remove old head & install new one? Roland tech of course wants $300 to do it. Doable by myself if i never done it?

reQ

I am in Canada. Roland dealer priced out new head little bit over $1500 before he installs it... so after installation - $1700-1800. I can get one from China for around $570 CAD. I did use only dealer's parts before, but what the heck, would like to see how 1/3 of the price print head will perform :)

brightbanner

i like vivid color
Please check the file in attachment about the DX4 head replacement.
If you can replace head refer it, please contact me, I will introduce a reliable head supplier to you.

Brent

Attachments

• DX4 head replacement Roland.pdf
    973.1 KB · Views: 659

Tizz

I also have thought of buying one from China (sign in china site). Apparently they don't officially supply the head rank number. However they require you to email them for the head rank number and pay an extra fee for this in which they will email it to you! I'm not confident about it. But they have sold heaps. Probably got to do with licensing (not sure).
I personally plan on getting one from digiprint, head rank number supplied with purchase but their dx4 heads cost a little more.

Will also replace this myself (will be the first time though), shouldn't be so difficult I imagine. I've just about tinkered and replaced most of the major parts on my SP and even managed to blow the head fuse on the main board. A bypass fuse connection helped in this occasion. Lol

reQ

So, yeah. I will try to get a printhead from signinchina. My total will be $727 after shipping (canadian dollars) will try & frankenstein the install myself, hope i don't screw up lol

P.S. They state its brand new original printhead from japan. They take a picture of rank number & scrape it off before shipping due to Epson policies. At least thats how they explained that to me. So you get the rank number in email still.

Will update the topic once i get the printhead & attempt to install it.

strypguy

I know of someone on a facebook forum that has successfully purchased and installed the print heads from Signinchina. He also told me to offer them less then asking price and they will deal with you on price. I'm planning on trying one for my SP540V when the black head gets a little worse. John

ProPDF

There is only one company and one place that makes DX4 Epson print heads and that is Epson Japan. There is no such thing as Epson DX4 print heads "Made in China" They are all made in Japan and the Chinese import them. If there WAS an aftermarket DX4 the prices would be much lower probably. There is no such thing as a second tier or grade quality....that is another myth. Just waterbased or solvent manifolds/seals. DO not worry about the head rank at all again another dealer scare tactic. Buy the solvent head from sign in china (dhl is the fastest shipper) remove your panels on the printer. Pull off dampers, unscrew 3 small screws pull head out. Remove the 2 ribbon cables gently, make sure the cable ends don't touch themselves or metal. Now remove the plastic bracket via 2 screws under the head you just removed. Put the oem roland bracket on the new head you just bought. When I say bracket it's not the black manifold with 2 nipples, I am talking about the plastic bracket the head is connected too that is connected to the print head carriage. Now connect ribbon cables and slide head back in....make sure it seats properly and is flush with carriage base. Hook everything back up and pull some ink through either via syringe to cap top or if you are lazy just do medium or powerful clean on that head group. Most the times you want to install new dampers at the same time....make sure you charge them with ink and that the seals are wet with cleaning solution before sliding on new head nipples!!! Stick the syringe to the end of your new or old damper regardless while its hooked to the ink line and pull ink through upside down. If not it will print and then show starvation after several ft/m. cause you didn't charge or prime the damper properly. While doing all this make sure you keep the machine powered off and after powering off hit the main front power button a time or too to discharge capacitors. Static and spilled beer should be kept away....hope this helps

reQ

There is only one company and one place that makes DX4 Epson print heads and that is Epson Japan. There is no such thing as Epson DX4 print heads "Made in China" They are all made in Japan and the Chinese import them. If there WAS an aftermarket DX4 the prices would be much lower probably. There is no such thing as a second tier or grade quality....that is another myth. Just waterbased or solvent manifolds/seals. DO not worry about the head rank at all again another dealer scare tactic. Buy the solvent head from sign in china (dhl is the fastest shipper) remove your panels on the printer. Pull off dampers, unscrew 3 small screws pull head out. Remove the 2 ribbon cables gently, make sure the cable ends don't touch themselves or metal. Now remove the plastic bracket via 2 screws under the head you just removed. Put the oem roland bracket on the new head you just bought. When I say bracket it's not the black manifold with 2 nipples, I am talking about the plastic bracket the head is connected too that is connected to the print head carriage. Now connect ribbon cables and slide head back in....make sure it seats properly and is flush with carriage base. Hook everything back up and pull some ink through either via syringe to cap top or if you are lazy just do medium or powerful clean on that head group. Most the times you want to install new dampers at the same time....make sure you charge them with ink and that the seals are wet with cleaning solution before sliding on new head nipples!!! Stick the syringe to the end of your new or old damper regardless while its hooked to the ink line and pull ink through upside down. If not it will print and then show starvation after several ft/m. cause you didn't charge or prime the damper properly. While doing all this make sure you keep the machine powered off and after powering off hit the main front power button a time or too to discharge capacitors. Static and spilled beer should be kept away....hope this helps
Thanks!
I will be changing cap. stations & dampers at the same time for sure + wipers, just to make sure everything is new & clean. My total price with installation is $2178.00 after taxes thru the dealer... 3x price of new head if i will be successfull swapping it myself :)

ProPDF

You will be fine...if you get in a pinch and don't feel comfortable just order the parts from sign in china and have the dealer come out to install your parts and pay attention the tech....you are more than likely going to have to do some head alignment calibrations afterwards which is the other half of the process. The dealer will always warn you they can't warranty your supplied parts....tell them that's ok....because the minute you have your first successful head crash they won't warranty their own parts if the heads have marks on the face.....which will happen.

reQ

I will be doing it right before my xmas holidays. To make sure i have no jobs for it waiting to print. That way i will have more than enough time to figure it out & fix it if i screw it up

player

I will be doing it right before my xmas holidays. To make sure i have no jobs for it waiting to print. That way i will have more than enough time to figure it out & fix it if i screw it up

There is a merchant member here from the US that has good dx4 pricing and also offers instructions and will walk you through it with phone support. It may be a bit more than China, but a US company with technical support, English speaking, and a warranty would be better than China and worth the small price difference.

reQ

There is a merchant member here from the US that has good dx4 pricing and also offers instructions and will walk you through it with phone support. It may be a bit more than China, but a US company with technical support, English speaking, and a warranty would be better than China and worth the small price difference.
who is that merchant?

ChicagoGraphics

Are you sure about dx4 heads or any heads for that matter not being made in China?

player

$350 USD more compared to signinchina, which will translate to pretty much same price after shipping/exchange rate/duties etc to my local price

Yes but you must have read threads here where people buy heads from China and they are defective or whatever and of course they are out the cash. The risk to reward ratio isn't worth the trouble for me. When I have had heads changed on my old SP540V by Roland there was lots of other tests and calibrations that they did. They also checked the cable tension and other alignments that they know how to do. If you get a good Roland guy. Tom from Daly Digital in Hamilton is the best guy I have ever seen. He knows the stuff, takes all the courses, and has been working on this stuff for many many years... Call him and ask what he would charge to sell you a head and walk you through the install. (If he will do that.)

reQ

Yes but you must have read threads here where people buy heads from China and they are defective or whatever and of course they are out the cash. The risk to reward ratio isn't worth the trouble for me. When I have had heads changed on my old SP540V by Roland there was lots of other tests and calibrations that they did. They also checked the cable tension and other alignments that they know how to do. If you get a good Roland guy. Tom from Daly Digital in Hamilton is the best guy I have ever seen. He knows the stuff, takes all the courses, and has been working on this stuff for many many years... Call him and ask what he would charge to sell you a head and walk you through the install. (If he will do that.)
Of course there are people who bought them from China & got bad heads but there are also plenty of people who bought them & installed themselves & they work perfectly fine. I am willing to take a chance & see what i will get. Worst case scenario is that i will spend $700 for nothing :)