• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dx4 printhead under microscope

Tyler Durden

I could not find any pics online so I thought maybe I should post this.
Under the microscope I can see the discoloration around some of the nozzles, also I can see the fluid come through each nozzle when I push a little solvent through.

Attachments

• rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 1,023

Tyler Durden

I imagine that delamination causes nozzle deflection and clogging. That material that has come lose is the hydrophobic coating. Right?

Not sure what the cause of the discoloration is, It looks to be ok, I dont see any delamination, although its just not that easy to see.

Im not sure on specifics that the nozzle could even delaminate around the holes. Theres just not much data I could find online about the material, thickness etc. Im sure epson would know what this is.

It does seem that based on the nozzle size that cleaning directly with a swab would not cause any harm.

I could see the nozzles becoming clogged if your swab or wipers have ink goo on them and inturn you end up pushing that goo into the holes. These holes are just so small that it wont take much to clog one. Even the smallest of particles flowing though the head would clog it and the only way to clear would be to reverse flow.

Attachments

• Image8.jpg
    Image8.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 550

Tyler Durden

I imagine that delamination causes nozzle deflection and clogging. That material that has come lose is the hydrophobic coating. Right?

After further testing, yes it appears the coating is missing in the discolored areas! The coating looks to give the head a darker matte finish as opposed to the lighter shinny finish underneath. Im not sure if it offers any protection to the surface.

Robert M

coating

When you gently push cleaning solution through the head are the nozzels firing straight down or deflecting off to the sides

Tyler Durden

When you gently push cleaning solution through the head are the nozzels firing straight down or deflecting off to the sides

Thats a good question, I had a squeeze bottle hooked up and roland cleaner and it just drips out, I cant get it to spray or stream.

I was wondering myself if this cleaner was too viscous to spray out, I did not want to put too much pressure but I think I was putting alot and just getting some flow.

Tyler Durden

It takes a good amount of force to make the fluid jet. You're not pushing hard enough.

I got a little pump going now and I am getting the spray streams.
Here are some pics of the black head. It is spraying all around like a sprinkler. It looks like it has some damage.

Attachments

• Image41.jpg
    Image41.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 315