• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

dye sub anyone?

tintgirl2000

I hav been looking into dye sublimation. I need some advice on what you use, what you most popular items that you produce, where you get your supplies, etc. Any other advice well appreciated.

Air Art Girl

I do alot of dye sub mugs, plaques and custom inserts for awards. I also do a fair amount of name badges. I am lucky to have 2 suppliers in-state. One being the link in the previous post, the other being Joto Paper. I also purchase from Conde.

I have learned that I prefer Unisub products when it comes to especially metals. The coatings are much better then others that may be less expensive.

I have an Epson 4880 hybrid. I have used the tshirt sublimation side but don't really like the way they come out.

noregrets

We have been dabbling in dyesub for about a year now, and have had mixed results. I am in the process now of converting an Epson 4800 and hope that I will have more luck with this printer.

The first printer I used was an epson r290, and went through a couple of these getting it setup. I then found that A4 was a little restrictive so upgraded to an Epson 1410 for A3 printing, but have had nothing but trouble with this printer.

I dont think it is the printer, more the dye-sub conversion that has been causing me grief, as these printers are normally pretty good.

Hopefully I have more luck with the 4800, as it is a production printer, and being able to print from a roll rather than A4 and A3 sheets will be much better. But this obviously comes at a price.

As far as materials go, it takes a bit of getting used to. Get the best heat press that you can afford, as this will make life easier.

Note that the ink will fade, we have had a tile outside for a year now, and it has faded terribly. Also, I too dont like the T-Shirts because of their requirement to be polyester.

Mousepads and mugs etc are mainly what we have done, and once you get used it it, they are pretty straight forward.

Hope that helps

cartoad

We have an Epson 4880 and have had it now for 3 years. Started out doing some T shirts, mugs, tiles, and now mostly just do name tags. Biggest problem is getting colors right, part of the problem is finding the time to work on it. Can be an expensive add on products to do in house if you do not do a lot of it.

speedneeds

We use an Epson 4800 with Sublijet IQ inks. The other posts are correct as anything outdoors will have to be UV coated or will fade drastically. License plates can be placed under a UV cover and hold up nicely. Air Art Girl is also right about pricing on blanks, cheaper isn't always the best way to go. Also test a few papers to see which you like best and what works best with your type ink. I have found that QC Pro works best for me.

The only problem we have incurred with the 4800 is clogging nozzles. If we are not running prints daily, then we do a nozzle check every other day to keep the nozzles clear.

digitalwoodshop

And a tip if you do get the nasty clogged tip then do the major cleaning cycles with regular ink rather than sublimation ink due to the cost...

I have 3 R1800's and fought with plugged I Q ink... The 2 in storage had head cleaner in the refillable cartridges but still dried up.

There is a waste storage tank and after you do so many cleaning cycles it shuts off your machine. I have a program that lets you Zero the counter. On the R1800 the 2 top switch LED flash. You should then add a external waste tank.

You Tube had some great videos on it... It is best to research the counter when you get a chance rather then on a Sunday when you have a order to go out.

Good Luck,

AL

Attachments

• ssc.jpg
    ssc.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 86

SCOTTD

dye subbing

We do thousands! of items per year. We have tried a variety of printer and have found the ricoh 3300 and the gx7000 to be the best and most economical. had some issues with the 7000 but Sawgrass has worked out the bugs. I hope..
Ricoh & sawgrass technologies

ova

We dye sub on aluminum only. Use it for the awards side of the business.

We use an HP 4500 color jet. The previous one we had lasted 9 yrs. Just got a rebuild one and it seems to be doing fine.

Our suppliers are Continental Trophy, Discount Trophy and Marco.

Dave

toomeycustoms

I had an Epson 1280 before and would get so frustrated with the heads clogging. If you don't run prints everyday, the epsons will clog and you will waste ink doing head cleanings. The Ricoh GX's don't have this problem. Plus the speed of the Ricoh's is faster than the Epsons. The epson's do have better quality though.

I purchased my supplies through my local dealer, Coastgraphicsupply.com

I am getting out of sublimation and have a brand new Ricoh GX7000 for sale. Comes with 50 shirts, mousepads, ink, transfer sheets and more. http://www.signs101.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=618

binki

we do dyesub on a small format epson 1280. to reduce head clogs (eliminate them actually) we put some cps (available from dtginks.com) in the capping station.

the ricoh printers ink is double the cost of the 1280 and while they are billed as the savior of the world i would say from the complaints i have seen they are not ready for prime time. Keep in mind the solution for ricoh to keep the heads from clogging is to leave it on and let it do a head cleaning 4 times a day. you can do that with the epson too and just flush the ink down the toilet at $1600/liter for the ricoh or $800/liter for the epson.

the cost of entry is somewhere around $500 to $1200 in the small format arena and $6000 for large format but your ink cost is 10% of the desktops (sawgrass does not control that market) and you can do all over prints (assuming you have a large format press)

the blanks are expensive and sometimes really cheap (as in crappy) and the amount of time you spend to make your item you have to really charge up the price.

it can be profitable but you really need to do your homework and market the products. otherwise you will be sitting on $1000 of ink just rotting away in your printer.

CES020

the ricoh printers ink is double the cost of the 1280 and while they are billed as the savior of the world i would say from the complaints i have seen they are not ready for prime time.

I'm not sure where you get your data, but where I get mine shows the cost of the Ricoh is far less than the Epsons. The gel ink uses less. Also not sure where you hear they have a lot of problems and aren't ready for prime time. People that have them are giving great reviews, other than the issues with the GX7000 that's been resolved now.

I love my Ricoh. The color is excellent and the thing just works. I sit next to it and I never hear the thing clean itself 4 times a day. If I let it sit for a day or so, when I send a job over, it goes through the maintenance cycle, but it doesn't just go through it 4 times a day.

I've found it to be an excellent printer.

I have a Epson 1400 sitting here that's had about 30 prints run through it. If anyone loves the Epson, I'll gladly part with it.

binki

take a look at tsf for the problems with ricoh. there are enough complaints for me to stay away from it.

what is your price for the ink? the epson 1280 is $155 for 110ml. the ricoh is $60 for 29ml. how is it less when you have to leave it on all the time for the 4 head cleanings a day?

If you go with a large format printer the ink is less than $150 for 1 liter.

the end story is the small format dyesub printers are for mall kiosks and small volume production. we still carry it because it brings in other biz. if it didnt it would be gone yesterday. if it works for you, good for you. if we were to replace it we would do it with a large format printer, not a tabletop.

Dakotagrafx

Sorry gotta disagree on the Ricoh. I leave mine off for 3 weeks at a time with no problems whatsoever - no cleanings daily - the gel ink just doesn't clog like my epson.

CES020

what is your price for the ink? the epson 1280 is $155 for 110ml. the ricoh is $60 for 29ml. how is it less when you have to leave it on all the time for the 4 head cleanings a day?

It may cost more dollars, but it uses less, therefore, the cost is less. I don't recall the post where it all was broken down, but it was on tsf. I think it was the guy from Conde or Johnson that did the tests on actual cost and actual usage.

Maybe you missed the part I said about "it doesn't clean itself 4 times a day". I'm not sure who's saying it does, but I've never seen it clean itself 4 times a day. If it's doing it, it's not using any ink and it's in some top secret stealth mode because it sits right next to me and I'm telling you, it's not doing it.

The problems you read about on tsf are a known problem for one model (GX7000). It has been corrected. Sawgrass has sent many people new printers for no charge because of the issues. They have resolved those issues. So there are currently no issues like you keep referring back to with the new printers.

I don't care which one you use, but I'm a Ricoh user and I'm telling you that it's been an outstanding printer for us and we've had no "cleaning cycle" happening, wasting ink, 4 times a day.

royster13

It seems to me there are a few "very loud" folks that want you to believe that it is an epidemic of Richoh failures....The only meaningful statistic I have seen is that 1 re-seller sold over 5,000 units with 24 defective....That is less than 1/2% and is probably a lower rate of failure than many pieces of electronic equipment these days...