• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dye Sub Flags fading....

LoGl

I have ordered flags from a few different sources over the years. I am wondering if the general experience is that if the product is going to regularly be outside, in direct sunlight, they will just fade. Period. I've been told by one of the companies, it is the nature of the beast and a warrantee on something exposed to the elements does not stand. I have otherwise been satisfied with the products, well made, look great, customer service is great....but the fading is a problem. Have the inks used for dye sub improved at all? I would say that generally 6 months to a year is about the average life it seems.

Thank you for your insight.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
From what I have been told through training courses and by our suppliers that is the way Dye Sublimation works. It is not intended for long term outdoor. The durability will change slightly depending on the ink / fabric combination and location in relation to the sun but that 6 month to a year is what I have seen.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Those results are pretty typical, Dye Sub outdoor durability is not very long. If you get a year that's good, avoid yellow as that's always the first color to fade. Try having some done with a UV printer to see what you think.

ucdisplay

dye sub inks are water base, which is the key reason not uv resistant. however, a thin layer of UV blocker will help to extent its life about half year.