• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

eco sol max inks safe?

jason91

I'm just curious about the safety of eco-sol max inks...I've been printing with this stuff 10 years outta my house....I'm not so concerned with being in contact with it....Mainly just the fumes? How safe is this stuff to breath truthfully?

Out of the Solvent based inks your with the best. But these are still solvent printers. They release VOC's Volatile Organic Compounds into the air which can be know to cause cancer. Every Solvent printer should be vented if you can stand the smell or not. There are many studies that show even at low VOC levels when subjected to the levels on a daily basis it can be just as harmful.

Drip Dry

I'm with Jason. 10 years of running my eco sol machine. Thought I remember being told how safe it was.
Now when Latex comes out, all the talk is about how safe Latex is and how bad eco is.

Just something else to worry about.

Guess you still can't trust those salespeople on commission

The best answer is for you to review the available MSDS forms for the inks in question. It took me about 5 minutes to locate them on the internet.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I tried to see if I could get the solvent to burst into flames with my propane wrap torch - it would not burn.
If you can't smoke it, it must be safe.......

Wayne k
guam usa

player

I tried to see if I could get the solvent to burst into flames with my propane wrap torch - it would not burn.
If you can't smoke it, it must be safe.......

Wayne k
guam usa

Just soak your rolling papers in it first, then it will burn.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Straight from the MSDS, "Control the airborne concentrations below the exposure limits (5ppm). Use only withadequate ventilation."

Kids and pregnant women are the most at risk for detrimental effects.

Posterboy

I run eco solvent. I had a very busy day, had about 50m of sav degassing in rolls, and printing. It was pouring rain and windy outside so I had the windows and doors closed. I got a pretty decent headache. After that I installed a couple of exhaust fans in the roof. I;ve been good since then.
Around that time I had a good hard look at air purifiers. There are certain brands that printer manufacturers sell or recommend. When I had a look at their specs and the size molecule they remove, these industrial ones were over priced and ineffective. The purifiers manufactured for the medical industry were much better value for money.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
It only gives you cancer if you live in California.....

Aside from that I have always said that solvent / eco-solvent are far from dead. I know latex if the trendy and fashionable thing nowadays but I currently see latex as the "Apple" products of wide format. I also just ran across Roland pushing a comparison of their Eco-Sol versus HP Latex with price comparisons and whatnot which is an interesting read. We are a Mimaki shop ourselves and we run solvent (full solvent) and yes exhausting the fumes is really mandatory in my opinion with solvent or eco-solvent.

Here is the new comparisons from Roland...

http://www.rolanddga.com/products/printers/latex-printer-vs-ecosolvent/

http://www.rolanddga.com/products/p...lvent/pdf/Roland-Latex-Comparison_2015-06.pdf

rjssigns

I've always wondered what kind of hazardous compounds are released when a latex printer heats the media. Haven't found anything addressing that. Maybe it's a non-issue?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I've always wondered what kind of hazardous compounds are released when a latex printer heats the media. Haven't found anything addressing that. Maybe it's a non-issue?

Phthalates. They are chemicals that help make the vinyl softer usually used in calendared vinyls. I just had a customer that had to upgrade all of their products to cast vinyl because they make a product for children and were required to be phthalate free to be considered child friendly.

ActionGraphics

We have always used Eco-Sol inks. Our former shop manager of 12 years came down with leukemia. Coincidence? I don't know, but probably a factor. Of course eating a lot of McDonald's, smoking, and so on were probably contributing factors as well...

Mal Ross

Mal Ross
We have always used Eco-Sol inks. Our former shop manager of 12 years came down with leukemia. Coincidence? I don't know, but probably a factor. Of course eating a lot of McDonald's, smoking, and so on were probably contributing factors as well...

NO COINCEDENCE BROTHER ! Apologies in advance for my rant.
I dont smoke and NEVER eat Maccas or crap, only as healthy food as I can get. Most of the time from the health food shop or farmers markets
I had a Mimaki JV33 for 8yrs and recon eco means economy.
Any brand.... Mimakiller, Rollandoverandie, Mutovernkillme are words that come to mind. and recon ECO means economy. It CANT be Ecology !

a. Solvent, Eco or not, is poison !!!!
(Eco is like mild cigs). It has no warnings on bottles and re sellers /manufacturers hide it (Like the Surgeon General liked Camels)
b. Bad machine in many ways and poison fumes. Made me sick.
c. Crazy prices for heads (AUS $1000). Crazy prices for techs to fix/install usually printer offline for at least a day before tech arrived,
and charging between $200 & $400 with no parts supplied by him.
d. At least 24-48hrs to dry...with more fumes in studio work area as I used to hang prints over drying bars and had stuff up there constantly
e. Track marks appear after a month or so on close inspection after new heads installed.
f. Ink to edge no good as it attacks the glue and curls up (I like my stickers FLAT) needs a white border
Far too many negatives in my humble opinion

3 years ago I dumped that killer/horror printer and bought a HP2600. WOW!!!! ( would love the 3600 )
A. NO poison fumes
B. HEADS $250 Aus or about $110 US
C. NO TECH needed to replace heads and other parts.... its a DIY and easy
D. Warranty on heads and if a problem are replaced free
C. NO wait time, can be cut and applied immediately .....an amazing boon to my business...Like 100% better speed and service.
E. FASTER in more ways than just printing...
F. WASTAGE is much less. You waste 100mm at the start of a roll and lose approx 800mm at the end of a roll (45m) and rarely reprint anything.
G. Latex Ink is a good price and not worth converting to bulk ink
H. Lasts as long out doors as solvent TS or ES... I live in tropical Queensland Australia and get plenty of sun on my signs
I. Prints on fabric, canvas, PVC and of course SAV
J. ALWAYS WITH PERFECT RESULTS

I've prob'ly got a lot more positives for HP and firmly believe the manufacturers of solvent printers will be sued in the future and eventually stop making them.
OR perhaps they can be honest about the solvent fumes at least with proper warnings on the containers and maybe save a few lives,
and cover their own arses.

ps I still love my Mimaki CG130fx Plotter though and still use my 20yr old GerberEdge..and have 25 sign foils in use.
AND lastly, but most important I found all HP staff amazing, caring and extremely helpful, unlike Mimaki,( I gave up on them)
pps my emphysema has halted too.....I think...
Mal

DJr

We to have been printing in a fairly small area for 10+ years. Yes the Exo Solvent inks are toxic! Read the MSDS sheets and you will see what you are breathing in NOT GOOD! We installed a commercial grade air scrubber with good charcoal filtration and it made a huge difference. Medical grade scrubbers will not remove the chemicals that the sign specific scrubbers remove. Yes they are a costly investment and you do have to change the charcoal every 4 to 6 mos at around $350 a change but what is your health worth? Good luck and do your homework.