• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Eco-Sol printing tips

Albertsol

Hi all! My questions may seem crazy so please bare with me..

I'm looking for an eco-solvent printer that can print on office/digital glossy paper (e.g Xerox ColorTech). My normal aqueous/dye/inkjet printer just bleeds and smudges on this paper (obviously).

1. Would an eco-sol printer work with this paper as I've heard the pre/post heating of the paper allows this?

2. Is there a thin/white vinyl that can be used like a paper for wall posters and POS signs etc?

3. I'm trying to avoid the resin/tacky/thick feel of inkjet photo-paper. Are eco-solvent paper coatings similar?

Only need basic 4 CMYK colors to start, min 18", roll or sheet. Considering the Mutoh VJ628 printer to get started, if you have any suggestions please let me know. Hoping the Rip with this would allow for heat/pass adjustments.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There are papers for solvent printers. Any paper with a coating on it will not work well with solvent. The VJ628 is a good starter machine and the software allows you to adjust pretty much everything about the printer. Most solvent printable paper I have seen does not have a sticky finish to it.

Albertsol

Thanks,
Any paper with a coating on it will not work well with solvent.
Would you know how aqueous/dye/inkjet paper coating is different to solvent coating?

My goal is to find a thin and semi-glossy paper similar to Xerox office/laser paper that will work with eco-sol. I'll see if I can get some solvent paper samples and go from there.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The difference is that the solvent paper doesn't have a special coating other than what makes it glossy or matte. Water based inks require a coating for the inks to adhere properly. Solvent inks eat that coating away and the ink rubs right off. Solvent was made specifically to print on non-coated materials.

Johnny Best

Go on Lexjet website and pick the paper that will work with eco solvent. You can call them and ask your questions and they are very knowledgeable about their products.

Albertsol

VanderJ said:
The difference is that the solvent paper doesn't have a special coating other than what makes it glossy or matte. Water based inks require a coating for the inks to adhere properly. Solvent inks eat that coating away and the ink rubs right off. Solvent was made specifically to print on non-coated materials.
A lot of the solvent papers I'm seeing are coated in resin exactly the same as water-based inkjet. I'll order some samples and go from there.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Hi all! My questions may seem crazy so please bare with me..

I'm looking for an eco-solvent printer that can print on office/digital glossy paper (e.g Xerox ColorTech). My normal aqueous/dye/inkjet printer just bleeds and smudges on this paper (obviously).

1. Would an eco-sol printer work with this paper as I've heard the pre/post heating of the paper allows this?

2. Is there a thin/white vinyl that can be used like a paper for wall posters and POS signs etc?

3. I'm trying to avoid the resin/tacky/thick feel of inkjet photo-paper. Are eco-solvent paper coatings similar?

Only need basic 4 CMYK colors to start, min 18", roll or sheet. Considering the Mutoh VJ628 printer to get started, if you have any suggestions please let me know. Hoping the Rip with this would allow for heat/pass adjustments.

I have you considered latex? Latex is a great ink set for Papers, especially uncoated. You cannot do custom posters any cheaper then with latex or UV. I do latex poster papers in the $0.07 sq.ft range which is impossible with eco-solvent.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
If you had latex you could just print directly to the cotton. Latex does heat set vinyl just like the other machines also. You would get a stand alone cutter and you would be super effective, I understand your decision BUT I would get some samples from both so you KNOW what each can do.

Yes I run HP Latex and Mimaki Eco-Solvent and Dye Sub in our demo rooms and that is the price of just the paper.