• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

eco-solvent dx7 media drying times & temperatures / icc and media profile help

discountdecals

Hi Folks,
Ive just purchased a tjet1671c eco solvent printer. I'm still trying to get the printhead printing as it should but because of China's perfect timing on National holidays i was left hanging for the last week.
I'm having problems with the ink lying ontop of the ritrama 100 gloss finish vinyl and like a 'fish-eye' finish and as if it is not sticking to invisible swipe marks and cracks on the vinyl if i know what i mean.
* Are there media profiles that i can use
*Advice on pre and finish heat settings
* I have icc profiles as in pass 2,4,6,8 and 12 but are there any better per material or has anyone any advice. All is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Lee

Given that is a Chinese made machine, the first question would be what RIP software are you using to drive the machine? Media profiles (on most halftone machines) are specific to RIP + printer model + media + Ink Set. Sometimes, with the Chinese products, the availability of pre-built (canned) media profiles is quite limited.

You may be better served to custom-build profiles at your end, although your RIP would need to enable this functionality for this to be an option.

RIP Software

I also have a TJET printer but a 2 head 6 color machine (got it last february and works great), at first I used maintop but eventually bought the Photoprint.

The maintop that they provide comes with color profiles, while the photoprint they will email the profiles. Unfotunately the profiles are very generic and is not specific to brand or type of media so there might be a slight difference in the color (which mostly not visible for most end users).

I agree the support does suck so there is a huge learning curve ahead to which you need to know how the printer works and do the tech stuff yourself. Other than that it work very flawlessly.

My only problem now is importing inks as you would want to get a crate of ink and sea ship it to save cost.

Hit me a PM if you need more information.

discountdecals

Thanks for your replies, Yes it's running photoprint 10, I previouysly had been using flexi 8.6, tried to add the printer to 8.6 but no joy at all nor could i add my other printer and cutter to 10.1 so I'm doing my work on 8.6, putting it over to another laptop with 10.1 and then saving it to file and exporting the cut, in saying that now the cut, the blade isn't dropping. I set it to feather and they were saying on how great the 'wave' ink system was but again, as you say there is a giant learning curve to get over now. Canvas material is great, the ritrama 100, i'm setting the heaters at 40 and 45 but it's still banding alot. The printhead is missing half of the yellow and cyan, which i think is the very left damper, I have changed this, sucked using the syringe and I don't think there is adjustment for the capping station, every time i asked, there was no straight reply. I think it's only minor at the moment but it's the things that took me along time to figure out previously. The cutting on the printer is my main problem as im ready to squeel.
Overall, you think your printer is a good job? No real issues at all? Are u using the tjet software also? Did u reduce the epson auto cleaning, there's some wastage on this machine now. Mine is only the tc1671c and then a cold laminator, I think the 2 delivered with customs was about 6.5k but i would have willingly paid more for an English speaking technician that didnt begin work at 3am lol.
I'll prob drop u a wee pm after I have a chat to 'Sally' but feel free to drop me any other help please. The only media profiles are basically the colour profiles eb pass2 etc. The ink from them I found great, as you say, bulk buying would be ideal, have a great night folks and thanks for replying, keep up the good work
Lee

Window 32bit

Are you using windows XP or window 7 32bit? Before the printer came I built a desktop power computer for ripping and printing and set it up with window 7 64 bit. But the time printer came I cannot install it and Jimmy told me that it will only work at 32 bit OS.. so I did use dual OS VM ware to run windows XP 32 bit.. Yes this installed the printer but everything is outa whack.. not aligned at all... So what I did is use my old XP which is installed in my mac as boot camp then it s like a magic that worked 100%.

IMHO: I don't think they do extensive QA testing on their product that is why they release products that fast, so everything is a beta.

Is the cap sealed perfect? It took me 10 days to realize that my capping station is the main issue. I have to wait for Sally to go online and send pictures do testing etc. They even sent me a print head thinking that it was the problem.

It can also be in the media, My printer does not work perfect on poster paper from FDC that whenever I print I get huge banding regardless (but I think I did not store it correctly and humidity might be the cause). Currently use FDC and SMI banner materials and they are vey good also with the wave pattern printing.

Keep the forum posted on your progress

discountdecals

Thanks for that, you'll never guess but i did exactly the same thing, i5, 1tb, 12mg ram and of course win 7 and naturally 64 bit... then i had to strip the whole thing down and now running xp black lol. I'm waiting on sally as we speak to try to solve why when i have a media size of anything over 1200cm the printhead runs completely to the other size of the printer and why the cutter just goes to the 1st registration mark and trhen back to home again without even thinking of cutting. i'm playing about with my heat settings at the minute. what adjusting or setting have your wave setting at and do you have or know of a good source so i can figure out all of the adjudtments and numbers on tjet. By the way i'm coming from just running a 24" pigment and 24" seperate cutter so decided to jump in feet first, but up a load of mx and quad graphics, as well as start into the banners and larger sized canvases so all of this eco solvent is kinda new. I'm still waiting on Sally to advise if the capping station can be adjusted about 1/2 a mm on the left as i think thats what the problem is although if she sends me a new printhead I'll not complain. Do u ever feel like sally is 1 of these people that write you a line, goes out, gets the kids to school, does the shopping and then writes you another line of text? :)
Have a great day

one by one

Read the manual... lol haha i have to take 3 advils after reading their manual "chinglish" they call it.

I would tackle the issues one by one.. so finish up all your printing and size of media problems then after you are satisfied in printing tackle the issue on cutting.

When sallly says "wait a minute" her reply to you will be next day hahaha... I think she always consults Jimmy their manager.

There is hope, once you pass this issue evertyhing will be good as you know your printer by heart and any minor issues down the road you can quickly identify.

With regards to heating, there is no set rules on it. It really depends on the media. THe expensive media you can heat upto 50 deg because it does not curl while those cheap scrim banners I only go 28 deg or just turm heat off because it will curl and head stirkes will occur.

My printing environment:

- 21-25 deg celsius indoor temp
- 55 % humidity
- Messy workshop (even my wife clean it up next day its disaster again lol)
- 8 pass printing (because ink is cheap I always go 8 pass to get photo quality)
- Dedicated powerhouse 64 bit desktop for ripping
- Dedicated Boot Camp Mac for printing TJET software

I do cut prints but on a separate cutter I found it more economical that buying a print and cut machine for speed and I want atleast 12 hours of drying before I do cuts.

Can you post some photos of your prints?

cUTTINg

Could it be exporting issue?? Try to make new file or work using photo print or set the cut marks and cut lines using photo print.. you know, china alters the software to their liking so try to do all in photo print.

Think how are the chinese guys make it work as shown on the very few videos online? What are the software available to them in making those designs... maybe just the photo print so try using that alone and set a contour cut.

discountdecals

Thats brilliant, thank you for the advice, much appreciated, I'm sorry for the late reply. The cutting I know is my own mistake but for the heck of me i cant work it out. I'm making the print, opening a contour cut on it, seperating it, putting it to 0,0 x,y, flipping it upside down,ripping and printing the image, exporting the cut but not putting any registration marks on it... is this where I'm going wrong? The chinglish simply says export. i've never had to export before as i do as you and used to print with 1 set of marks, then feed into the cutter and cut. I was thinknig of sitting up to 3am to get her once she starts work but ill see how my patience holds out with this machine. Been at it for ages today, it works out the connection for the blade not moving up and down had came loose under the blade cover. Ive taken a pic here of my print. I'm still losing out on half of my magenta and the print looks like its short on it's ink supply. Maybe you can shed some light on it. Thanks again, I reqlly appreciate it

Attachments

• DSC_1066[2].jpg
    DSC_1066[2].jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 241

discountdecals

Now it's time to give in for tonight, another day away along with 1/2 litre of ink... I've attached my last 2 images for tonight, I took the head out and flushed it totally, adjusted the height of the carriage and angle but for the life of me I can't get the full magenta printing. The print and cut, i lined up 6 ford images on photoprint instead of increasing quantity on prod manager, flipped the image up side down... it cut 3, the start point was an inch away from me on the y axis and it looks like the x axis is gone to pot also, wonder does the feker reset itself?
I'm picturing me being bald with hairs growing on the palms of my hands at this rate. I'll be on to Sally before her school run in the morning and hopefully I'll hear back from her before the weekend.
Thanks again for your help.
Oh and i suppose u dont know anyone selling off their collection of rc templates and decals as my city contacted me today requesting a bit of stuff.
I hope you haven't left too much of a mess now for your wife :)
Have a good 1,
Lee

Attachments

• DSC_1067[1].jpg
    DSC_1067[1].jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC_1068[1].jpg
    DSC_1068[1].jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 215
Contamination

I cannot comment on the cut as I dont have any experience on that.

The print looks very bad.. you are having ink contamination. to check the seal of cap do this.
- Turn off the machine
- park the head sealing to the cap
- remove the hose from the bottom and put you syringe there..
- pull with gentle slow pressure not to break the head.

Ink should fill the syringe, if not and you hear hissing sound there is a leak and you need to fix the seal.

after that, print head cleaning and check that the drain lines are not clogged then print the nozzle check this should have no gaps on all lines.

is the magenta nozzle in the left most side? can you send photo of the capping station?

Curling

I also see that you material is curling.. whenever I print decals I put the heat on the lowest setting or turn it off at all.

discountdecals

getting there...

you will never believe me but i think I'm almost there.... phew. Yeah, i had been working on the capping station to stop any air leaks with the syringe but the best way i got around it was actually to blow the ink back into the capping station until i seen where the ink came out.... hours upon hours and it seems grand but... guess what. My magenta won't print full, only half... Sally, the lovely lady that she is, said it could be either a main board fault or a head fault, she wont send me a board unless i try another dx7 head first... I shound have 1.2 a dozen kicking around...not, anyway through alot of playing around with the settings i have finally almost for the cut working as well, and yet again chinglish instructions are only good for a substitute once u run out of toilet paper.
I have to say jsonpaul, thanks again for your advice.... what do u think for 1st run, a bit of 'overspray' if that is the right terminology on the white, printhead too high? ....and so it all begins :) the start of many problems :)
Printed this out earlier but this one gets a tad confused on the cut... maybe too much info but smaller repeat items cut out fine, off by about 1/2mm each way but nothing compared to my dealings with Sally.... every time I hear that najme I get shivers down my back now :) Have a good weekend

Attachments

• DSC_1075[1].jpg
    DSC_1075[1].jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 215
Photo of my issue before

I am glad to hear that all is getting better. I think need to sleep beside your printer lol.
Check the images, those are the results of nozzle check during the time when the capping station is not properly sealed.

Attachments

• WD_0047.jpg
    WD_0047.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 236
Sharing

Just want to share what is on my printing plotter tonight. I always like the 8 pass although it is slower the print for its quality and sharpness... I know rolands, epsons and mutohs are better, but or my current clients this exceeds their expectations.

Attachments

• WD_0049.jpg
    WD_0049.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 228
  • WD_0044.jpg
    WD_0044.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 227
  • WD_0045.jpg
    WD_0045.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 319

discountdecals

looking well

Hi Jsonpaul.
They're looking really well now, good job and crisp and clear, this is what i had been playing weith last night, the cutting is running about 1mm off but i can live with that but the black is 'overspraying' something fiece at times. It looks like there isnt enough of ink but then it sprays all over the place too. Someone stated that its a voltage adjustment thats needed but glad to be finally up and running to a certain degree. You'll see the overspray in the to town pic, the 'orange peel' in the orange and the cutting of the test quad graphics. Laminating today and running off my first print, laminate and cut decals today... woop woop lol

Just want to share what is on my printing plotter tonight. I always like the 8 pass although it is slower the print for its quality and sharpness... I know rolands, epsons and mutohs are better, but or my current clients this exceeds their expectations.

Attachments

• DSCN0974.jpg
    DSCN0974.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN0973.jpg
    DSCN0973.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCN0972.jpg
    DSCN0972.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN0971.jpg
    DSCN0971.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 233
  • DSCN0970.jpg
    DSCN0970.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 234
It is great to see that you are making progress. i am not sure why would it randomly spray inks. Is the distance of the media to the head is very close? the prints look great other than that random sprays.. or maybe the voltage in the machine that causes it.

I have never changed the voltage on my printer (this is an area that I have not explored yet).

Hey Discoun Decal,

Just want to ask about print quality of your pressure sensivite vinyl for wraping? for some reasons mine is not satisfactory to me.. the ink is like floating and dries like a watermark or spilled water in a paper. looks like the ink volume is more than what the vinyl wants