• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ECO solvent ink printing without laminating?

steven85

Hi,
I'm newbie to forum. Have read a lot of post and I found theyare very helpful.

I've been doing research and looking for a printer andink for color label printing.
The label is self-adhesive vinyl and small size (2”). Icould get die-cut labels and hope for direct printing without coating.
The labels are applied on indoor articles. However theprinting/ink must resist wash and scratches.
I am looking into digital printing because of smallvolume each design.
Solvent printer with ECO solvent ink looks promising. Couldyou please advise on the following issues?
1) Doesthe ECO solvent ink resist wash and scratches without laminating?
2) Do Ihave to laminate the labels?
3) Is contourcut time-consuming? Because the size of most labels is less than 2x2”.
4) Ialso check the possibility of inkjet printing with water based pigment ink onvinyl. Does pigment ink resist wash and scratches without laminating?
5) Couldyou kindly recommend a suitable printer?
I really appreciate any information and suggestions.

FrankW

Eco-Solvent is not highly scratch resistant without laminating. Printing on Vinyl with water-based pigment ink is not highly scratch resistant too, and the vinyl for this printers is more expensive.

Eco-Solvent for indoor prints have some other difficulties too, specially because there will be VOC-Emissions from the prints for a longer period (not even during printing and drying).

Depending on the kind of the graphics on the labels, a Summa DC4 Thermal Transfer could be a solution: much more scratch resistant then eco-solvent, print & cut (and laminating if needed) in one process, no VOC's, no smell of the prints and so on.

steven85

FrankW, thanks a lot for the information, especially the reminderof smell of EOC sol ink for indoor prints. I initially researched color thermaltransfer printers. The printing quality concerns me. Do you have any experienceof its graphic quality?

wmshuman

The quality is outstanding when it comes to Pantones, spot colors, solid colors, etc., basically because it is using tape rather than ink. The downside is that gradients and images and nearly impossible to achieve. The printer is also much slower than a solvent printer but if you are looking for a printer that has really durable prints without the need for lamination and no VOCs then a thermal printer is the way to go. Also if you are in the decal business rather than the sign business, it is not a bad choice either. I personally do not own a thermal but have done a lot of research on the Summa before buying my Mimaki.