• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

eco solvent or water based ink for canvas ?

mjood

Hello

I decided to get into canvas business. basically print digital photos on canvas for indoor use.

I noticed every one using water based ink then either laminated or coated to protected form UV.

Why not eco solvent ? no need for laminated or coated after.. is there any one printing photos on canvas? can be easy stretched on frame ?

Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

artbot

depends on the client. who are you selling to and at what price point. also is this going to be high traffic spaces (hospital) or low (residential)?

AF

Aqueous 12 color will blow away an ecosolvent print, but wont last if exposed to water or UV. We print canvas with Latex (water based but cured and waterproof) and coat with liquid. Looks great, just not the gamut of a 12 color aqueous. But the prints can be submerged outdoors so it depends on your needs and such.

artbot

after messing with UV, eco-solvent, and water based, my conclusion was that latex was the best all around set up for the broadest client/price range. the color and image prints more artistically then eco solvent and it is more durable and cheaper to run vs water based.

i was assuming that the latex for medium traffic indoor would not require coating. is this true? also wouldn't the latex be able to print on basic primed canvas (not needing coatings like ecosolvent or waterbased receptive inks require). saving money and giving the user a larger material option.

jwindsor

We use 6 color (CMYKLcLm) pigment ink for all of our canvas work. We use solvent for everything else. A little more expensive for the canvas work, but the final output is worth it. You can pick up a used Roland FJ-540 very reasonably. Just make sure that you inspect it well before purchase. They are built like a tank and go on forever. Be advised, however, that the aqueous pigment ink is much more expensive than solvent, or eco-solvent and will not last at all in an outdoor application. If all of your work is going to be indoor, you will be OK

AF

after messing with UV, eco-solvent, and water based, my conclusion was that latex was the best all around set up for the broadest client/price range. the color and image prints more artistically then eco solvent and it is more durable and cheaper to run vs water based.

i was assuming that the latex for medium traffic indoor would not require coating. is this true? also wouldn't the latex be able to print on basic primed canvas (not needing coatings like ecosolvent or waterbased receptive inks require). saving money and giving the user a larger material option.

Canvas should always be coated with liquid lam if you print with latex. It adds to the abrasion resistance, evens the sheen and prevents bleed. Use a UV inhibiting coating if the print will be located near sunlight (window, outdoors etc).

AF

Hello

I decided to get into canvas business. basically print digital photos on canvas for indoor use.

I noticed every one using water based ink then either laminated or coated to protected form UV.

Why not eco solvent ? no need for laminated or coated after.. is there any one printing photos on canvas? can be easy stretched on frame ?

Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

You can use solvent, aqueous or latex on canvas. Photos are commonly printed on the cheap thin polyester canvas which is easy to mount on stretcher bars.

AllianceDG

I used the clearshield type c liquid lam when I used to print on a mutoh(eco-sol) and it worked great. Now I have an hp 330, which liquid lam would you recommend on the latex? According to the fellers catalog the clearshield is designed for use on solvent and eco-sol. For me it's mainly to help with finger prints more than anything. FYI this on the intelicoat/magic poly-satin canvas

Canvas should always be coated with liquid lam if you print with latex. It adds to the abrasion resistance, evens the sheen and prevents bleed. Use a UV inhibiting coating if the print will be located near sunlight (window, outdoors etc).