• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Eco-Solvent printer/cutter

bpfohler

We are a screen printing,embroidery and awards shop. The last few years we’ve had quite a few calls for vinyl and we’ve been cutting a lot of single color logos but buying the printed logos to re-sell, I’d like to start doing more in house.
I’ve been looking at a 30” versacamm and had a real newbie question. Is the Eco Solvent printer the correct choice for outdoor application and what line on vinyl would be the best choice for the Vesacamm.

You'll regret not buying a bigger machine in two months trust me. 54" will do the job. Any generic vinyl works as they are all made of PVC - there is no special layer on it. Lamination is the key for long outdoor durability, but even without lamination any outdoor decal will last 2 years minimum.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Can you contour cut after lamination?

Yes you can contour cut after lamination. We suggest to start with 54". Older printers like Roland SP540V, VP540, VS540 which requires less maintenances but do have to sacrifice light gray color. If you want all colors, get Roland SC540, XC540 which gives you six colors but more maintenance. You can probably pick one up in good condition for $6000-7000. SP540 is slow, two printheads, least maintenance of all Roland in my opinion but worth to get into market with.

Premier Colour sells aftermarket ink for warranty expired printers. $128 OEM vs $64 Jetbest.

Premier Colour Inc
Order by 5 pm for same day shipping from CA

bpfohler

I’ll likely buy new although I’m not thrilled with what I read about the new Roland machines. Any suggestions on what other brand to look at?

There is no guarantee that any brand comes 100% problem free, just be prepared to give it back if it doesn't work perfectly, do not let technicians come up with excuses until you cannot cancel the deal. I have a mimaki cvj150, it's a great machine but the software is awful - both printer's firmware and RIP soft. Had a Roland TrueVis it was a TrueNightmare. If you already have a cutter-plotter you should check out the RF-640 from roland.

equippaint

Weve had good luck with our Mimaki cjv150, no service calls and going on 2 years. I havent had any problems with the software (Rasterlink) and found it just as easy as Versaworks to use. Nothing is perfect and I expect little annoyances from time to time.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I’ll likely buy new although I’m not thrilled with what I read about the new Roland machines. Any suggestions on what other brand to look at?

You should definitely look at the HP Latex 115, they also make a print and cut model. Very cost effective, and they print on everything!

v0y4ger

I was in the same position as you 5 years ago. It's such a struggle to get answers to the most simple of questions sometimes.

So anyway, I started off with a Mutoh Valuejet 1304 - easy peasy forgiving machines and on the market at £1500 in the UK second hand. Eco solvent for indoors/outdoors/wrap and pretty much everything else - including printing flex (for t shirts) and canvas/paper etc.

Don't throw loads of money at it until you're sure this is the direction you want to go (which it will be-honest)

I always laminate in or outdoors since I had to explain to a customer why her printed sign scratched when she polished it (don't ask), so yes you'll need a laminator too. Start with a cold one at first then in a few years you can get a posh one.

You'll also need a program to print with aka a rip - depends on what you get but aim for £1500 ish for a good one

Good luck :D