• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Eco-Solvent Sugestions?

mmblarg

Hey All!

I was just perusing a solvent vs latex thread and came across a great number of comments on eco-solvents being able to actually dry quickly. I'm curious, what all are you guys using?

We use 20/20 Color, 440 ml for our Roland SolJet Pro III and SolJet Pro IIV, then Valuejet ultra eco solvent for our Mutoh, but we have never had the good fortune of having a print be dry by the time it hits the floor. Most often our banners and high-speed real estate signs suffer the most when we get caught with a customer and our print touches - it's like trying to pry apart glued paper. Worst offenders, though, are our Photo Gloss paper and Tradeshow material - those bad boys can't have anything touch the face for a good 3 hours or they scuff, scratch, or leave ink on the backs of other prints.

One user commented that they are able to let the print dry for 15 minutes before immediately laminating. We have to wait 24 hours or else the laminate fails and separates from the print - something that has posed a problem in the past when we need to reprint the same day a client is scheduled to pick up.

What about you guys? What's your experience? Got a favorite brand?

bilge

In very rough estimation, if you print over 100 sqf/h you need a blower, 200 sqf/h necessary to have infra-red dryer/blower. More than that you might need independent take-up reel stand placed some distance (3-4 meters) away from your printer. Where I live, banners printed only on true solvent printers and usually at 500 sqf/h, and everything indoor printed on aqueous printers up to 200 sqf/h. Eco sol used only for wraps. But it's different market. I think you would look at Oki M 64s or E 64s.

CanuckSigns

Hey All!

I was just perusing a solvent vs latex thread and came across a great number of comments on eco-solvents being able to actually dry quickly. I'm curious, what all are you guys using?

We use 20/20 Color, 440 ml for our Roland SolJet Pro III and SolJet Pro IIV, then Valuejet ultra eco solvent for our Mutoh, but we have never had the good fortune of having a print be dry by the time it hits the floor. Most often our banners and high-speed real estate signs suffer the most when we get caught with a customer and our print touches - it's like trying to pry apart glued paper. Worst offenders, though, are our Photo Gloss paper and Tradeshow material - those bad boys can't have anything touch the face for a good 3 hours or they scuff, scratch, or leave ink on the backs of other prints.

One user commented that they are able to let the print dry for 15 minutes before immediately laminating. We have to wait 24 hours or else the laminate fails and separates from the print - something that has posed a problem in the past when we need to reprint the same day a client is scheduled to pick up.

What about you guys? What's your experience? Got a favorite brand?

We got a new Roland vg640, it uses the tru-vis ink and I've noticed a big improvement in drying times and scratch resistance vs our old Roland running Eco so max ink

mmblarg

Ok, so sounds more like needing additional equipment or different printers to get solvents to dry quickly - it's funny, people were in an uproar on the other thread because one person described the issues we are having with solvents when they compared them to latex. More than one person insisted that slow drying solvents was a misrepresentation... thought it was pretty accurate in our case haha.

I'll look into the presets though! I know the owner will be cautious of any blowers or heaters due to our limited space and we've had problems with the print heads drying out in the past.

Any other advice or experiences is completely welcome!