• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Economical printer, to print on engineer grade, reflective adhesive label material

Rhianna

Hello everyone, new to Signs 101. I'm trying to start up my own small business, creating outdoor signs/labels for a local company and then to expand to neighboring areas. I've been doing a bit of research on what type of printer should I get to print on 3M 680, or any other reflective, adhesive vinyl, to make signage/labels for outdoor use. I've looked at used but most of them are local pick up only and that is just not an option since most of the used printers for sale are several states away. Buying Mutoh, etc. is way out of my price point. Is there a way, short term plan, to print with inkjet on this type of media and would I have to laminate afterwards? Any help is greatly appreciated.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Do you have a certain budget in mind for the printer and do you have a cutter and laminator already? Also, what software do you have currently or are planning to get for designing your print and cut files? We(Airmark) are a merchant member here on the site and may be able to help but I need a bit more information first before I can recommend a solution.

Please feel free to contact me here on the site or I can be reached by phone or email as well(contact info in signature).

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112(office)
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com

Last edited:

unclebun

If you want the decals to last more than 2-3 years or to be able to survive abrasion, then you do need to laminate them for outdoor use after printing.

The printers that print onto sign vinyl are all going to require shipping via common carrier or private carrier. They cannot be UPSed. If you are new to this, you should be looking to purchase from a supplier who will come and install it and train you on it, and be a resource to you when you have problems (and you will).

If you are going to try to do this with old equipment and cobbling your system together yourself, driving a few states away and renting a box truck to bring a printer home to save $10,000 should be considered part of the deal.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, you have your profile completely off limits, so it's next to impossible to help you.... as we have no idea of what you have, what you know or what your actual aim is in this industry.

When someone sounds as naive as you do, more information is needed in order to even help guide you in the right direction. I would imagine it would be a good idea for you to work in a shop and pick up on some of the do's & don'ts of digital printing. Or at least farm your needs out til you see what equipment will really fit your bill.

Z SIGNS

Buy the cheapest Chinese printer you can get your hands on.
It will give the best education you can get about printers.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
You could outsource to a reputable Merchant Member here like ourselves or another that is a member of this site. Im sure working with one of us would be a great way to get you rolling and started up with minimal initial investment. Use our capabilities to physically work less yet make more.

Rhianna

Hi unclebun,

Thank you for the suggestions. I am totally new to this so the information that you gave is really helpful and appreciated.

If you want the decals to last more than 2-3 years or to be able to survive abrasion, then you do need to laminate them for outdoor use after printing.

The printers that print onto sign vinyl are all going to require shipping via common carrier or private carrier. They cannot be UPSed. If you are new to this, you should be looking to purchase from a supplier who will come and install it and train you on it, and be a resource to you when you have problems (and you will).

If you are going to try to do this with old equipment and cobbling your system together yourself, driving a few states away and renting a box truck to bring a printer home to save $10,000 should be considered part of the deal.

Rhianna

Hi wylddgfi, thank you for the ideas and will consider all options.

You could outsource to a reputable Merchant Member here like ourselves or another that is a member of this site. Im sure working with one of us would be a great way to get you rolling and started up with minimal initial investment. Use our capabilities to physically work less yet make more.

Rhianna

Hi Gino, thank you for your input. This is the first forum that I've subscribed to.

Since I am a newbie I was looking for suggestions/help on quick, economical solutions. I am using an Epson color label printer and I have two inkjets. The label and inkjet printers print on the reflective labels but the ink just beads up. So, that is why I started looking into what type of printers will print on this type of media (3M 680, etc.). I've researched that I would need to get latex, eco-solvent, solvent or UV printers. These are all out of my current budget. I am also having difficulty finding printable, inkjet labels that are reflective, as well as for outdoor use.
I work full-time and currently have this on the side (hoping that I can make this full time instead of the other job) so going to a digital printing place to gain experience wouldn't be an option.

Well, you have your profile completely off limits, so it's next to impossible to help you.... as we have no idea of what you have, what you know or what your actual aim is in this industry.

When someone sounds as naive as you do, more information is needed in order to even help guide you in the right direction. I would imagine it would be a good idea for you to work in a shop and pick up on some of the do's & don'ts of digital printing. Or at least farm your needs out til you see what equipment will really fit your bill.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Being a newbie, doesn't mean you can't help yourself by filling out the proper requirements to join this forum. Ya just fill in the blanks and be as honest as you can. Then, we can see what's going on if your requests or questions are vague.

Anyway, looking for quick answers will never happen unless you're just looking for what ink to buy or what's this font ?? If working some place to get some first hand... hands-on knowledge is outta the question, then I would suggest as I and others have said..... sub your work out. Otherwise, you're gonna get a quick reputation for not knowing what you're doing, which would be true. Once a bad reputation has happened, its very hard to shake it..... even if you change your name and start over...... that stuff will follow you. When farming out, you can ask what they're using, how they're going about it and slowly find your answers in that fashion. It's not the best way, but it sure beats putting money out and doing the wrong thing and then having to sell it all.

So, if all the printers are outta your budget, I guess the cutter and a laminator won't fit in there anywhere, either. Do you have any background with any software ?? You'll need to know vector and raster files and how to set them up.

Good luck................​