• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EDGE fan doesn't turn on

Browner

Turned on the EDGE this morning, and noticed it was a LOT quieter than normal. The fan's not working.

What do I trouble shoot first? Everything else seems to be working fine.

Can serious harm be done to the machine if I run a couple of jobs until I find a fix?

It's an EDGE LE.

weaselboogie

Try spinning the fan. If its jammed up, it may try turning while it slows down. Feel the motor to see if it's warm. Your motor might be shot. And lastly, get a meter and see if you can get to the terminals to see if there's power going to it.

Hopefully, it's just dirt or dust (vacuum) or maybe the motor is shot. If there's no power going to it, you have bigger problems.

Browner

The fan spins freely.

I'll check on the "feeling to see if it's warm" tomorrow... and from there I'll check to see if it's getting power. It had better be... the power supply in it now is just a few months old!

SqueeGee

Chris,

I'm running into the exact same problem right now. Please post back what you find out and I'll do the same.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dane DeFord

I would think that most computer shops would be able to help out. I would follow the wiring down to see if the individual wires are soldered or if the wires have a plug on the end of them. It may just be a matter of unplugging take a trip down to the local computer repair store, matching up the fan, re-install. Hope it helps.

Dane

Also, I WOULD NOT run the machine without the proper cooling. Might not take to long for a total meltdown.

Last edited:

Browner

Well, it's not the fan (checked it with a 9v battery and it spun).

The power supply has 5 "posts" right near the fan. The first two aren't connected to anything that I can see. 24v runs from 3 and 4, and 12v is supposed to run between 4 and 5 (to which the fan is attached). 4 is a common ground. I've got nothing registering between 4 and 5.

I just got off the phone with Scott at Gerber, and he says that in 20 years, he's never heard of a power supply's 12v circuit failing.

I'm curious to see if SqueeGee has the SAME problem, or if he's "lucky" and it's just the fan.

Browner

Apparently ND is going to call me with a solution, but I'm willing to bet the only "fix" for this is a new power supply. I paid over $1000 for this one last November, so I don't think I'll be following that route again.

What I have done in the mean time is wire up a 12v converter and switch to the fan directly. The converter cost me $30 and works great. I just need to remember to turn it on when I turn on the machine... but that shouldn't be too hard to do: the silence of the edge without the fan is just too weird.

UltraHIVE

just saw this posting... my fan hasnt worked until last week, for about a year. i had the FX on longer then usual, after printing for about a half hour straight. i went to sit down and edit a few things and i hear the fans come on, both at once. i was shocked that i had thought they were always on, duh.. i do keep the room at 70 degrees with a steady aimed breeze from the AC, maybe that kept the temp down? since then they havent gone on, even tried spinning the fans, but i havent had the machine on as long either. i agree with Browner, make your own fan switch setup... next project :)