• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Edge lifting on 3M IJ180 during printing

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I have a customer who is having a strange issue. He is running a Roland XR640 with OEM ink. After the print has gone a few feet, it starts to ripple up only on the left side and eventually leads to a head strike, BUT only on 3M IJ180. I have tried various temperatures, 35 up to 50 degrees, keeping the 3 temps (pre, print, dryer) pretty close together to eliminate a thermal expansion issue between zones. Has anyone had a similar issue with 3M IJ180?

MikePro

ij180 shouldn't be having reaction to the temps, maybe there's adhesive or sticky build-up on the pinch rollers could be encouraging lifting during print?

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
The machine is kept very clean by the operator, including the platen, grit roller and pinch rollers. They are running the 3M on their VG-640 today to see if they have the same issue. Right now, I'm leaning towards the left pinch roller being worn more than the right roller. As the 3M is thinner, and so more "flexible" than the other material they print, it would be more sensitive to "sideways" forces due to the roller being worn. The customer just informed me the pinch rollers haven't been changed in a while, so I'm suspicious that may be the issue. Thanks for the suggestions...