• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Edge Lit Acrylic Sign

Wesley Powell

Account Rep
Good afternoon everyone, I was wondering if someone could share some information with me on any experiences they may have with Edge Lit acrylic signs. Long story short, the father of my best friend had his barn burn down a few weeks ago and had a larger edge lit acrylic sign in there that he's looking to replace. It had a nice wooden frame around the whole sign, which I can easily build along with engraving the acrylic. The part I'm unsure of is the LED part. Does it take a certain type of LED's or can I get a standard roll off amazon and use them?

Inks

You will need a combination of proper LED's and Edge Lit acrylic. There may be some testing involved, talk to your local supplier for guidance.

Wesley Powell

Account Rep

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 12.44.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 12.44.01 PM.png
    457.5 KB · Views: 172

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You can buy LED strips off of amazon that can be cut down to the length you need.

The only time I've seen that used in sign was as a red halo around a cabinet used in a movie theater. Those do not go into letters.

You got to be careful using and reselling stuff on Amazon. Those electronics may not be UL listed, or they might be counterfeit and be an electrical hazard.

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I have no experience with it but I think you can use any light with these. I'm pretty sure that they use LED strip like you posted for the edge-lit panels in limos and party buses. If you connect strips together make sure you solder them, don't use the connectors that they sell.

Inks

[QUOT
You can buy LED strips off of amazon that can be cut down to the length you need.
Those LED's look to be RGB is that what you are looking to use? are you setting them at a specific color?
E="Texas_Signmaker, post: 1514849, member: 64288"]standard roll off amazon???? huh???[/QUOTE]

MikePro

pics of intended project and some people here might have more useful tips, or shortcuts to take.
I buy random sign stuff off of amazon too sometimes....so no shame there, but there are much better LED options available from a reputable supplier that stand behind their brands/product lines like sloan/GE/etc.

unknown materials and LEDs to comment, but trial&error is always helpful with these things before you dive-into a grander-format.
Start small, and make a letter, see how it looks, but ultimately, its not "that hard"....especially if you don't care about hot/dark spots.
The smaller the project and more critical eye you're expecting to please, then down the rabbit-hole of various acrylics, with different diffusal rates or white points, & LEDs that can be smaller&more flexible or have wider-spread illumination. In which case, see manufacturers like the Bitro Group for the specialized plastics & LEDs available when you're trying to pack a LOT into a small package.

edited to add: my rant was regarding edge-lit lettering like a channel letter.... woof. edge-lit acrylic panels, horse of a different color & WaaaaaaaYYY easier.

Last edited:

Wesley Powell

Account Rep
Okay sorry for the delay, it's going to be roughly 24" x 36" and it's going to be something he turns into his insurance company to pay for. I have attached a picture that pretty much shows the same concept I'm going for. The one he had was always one color whenever he turned it on so I'm not so much worried about the ability to change colors.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 9.52.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 9.52.29 AM.png
    901.4 KB · Views: 146

RickP

Good afternoon everyone, I was wondering if someone could share some information with me on any experiences they may have with Edge Lit acrylic signs. Long story short, the father of my best friend had his barn burn down a few weeks ago and had a larger edge lit acrylic sign in there that he's looking to replace. It had a nice wooden frame around the whole sign, which I can easily build along with engraving the acrylic. The part I'm unsure of is the LED part. Does it take a certain type of LED's or can I get a standard roll off amazon and use them?
Try calling Lumenedge. That's all they do.http://lumenedge.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQi...PsoKfYLF4FsTFUa5sYSQVczwKrtaH_C0aAncFEALw_wcB