• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EDGE Setup issues

Reaction GFX

So we have an EDGE 1 and an HS15plus plotter that were bought new back in the day. I've been the sole operator of them for the last 11 years and they've both worked quite well, for the most part. We're currently running Omega 2.61.0.10. Back in 2007 the computer these were both attached to died so we bought a new computer, not even thinking that we would need both a serial and parallel port, and most computers at that time were no longer coming with them. We were able to add a serial PCI card and get the plotter working, and a USB to parallel cable to get the EDGE working. The system has been working with this configuration relatively trouble-free ever since. Had some minor issues when I upgraded to Windows 7, but was able to figure that one out. We don't use either of these machines much, but still have particular jobs that we do use them for.

So last week I fired up the EDGE for probably the first time in 2 months to print something, and got the "Unable To Open Port" error for the USB. After some fiddling, mostly just unplugging and plugging the cable in various ports, I finally got it to work again and was able to output a small job. Next day, back to "Unable To Open Port." Tried all sorts of things to no avail. Frustrated, I figure I'll try to get the configuration as close to what was originally intended by installing a brand new PCIE parallel card and using a brand new parallel printer cable. Now I'm getting the "Missing Parallel Port Driver" error no matter what I try. I'm so tired of hearing that stupid ding! I've configured the parallel port to be LPT1 in device manager (it was originally showing as LPT3, which wasn't working), I've installed the EDGE using LPT1 in GSPlot, I've configured the EDGE to use LPT1 in GQMgr, and I've gone into the Sentinel Configuration, but it's so archaic and cryptic I'm not even sure what to change. I've run the Warp9fix, and ParCheck tells me that LPT1 is standard (it's an EDGE 1). Following the instructions from Gerber (dated 2004), it tells me to look for Par1284 driver in device manager and make sure it's started...well, it's not even listed.

I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled Omega...still can't get this stinkin' EDGE to print. I'm at a loss. I know there are some EDGE experts out there and I sure would appreciate your input. I have a customer waiting on a job...

Thanks!!

Jburns

In the software and the device manager, do you have the parallel port configured for ECP communication? The Edge needs this setting to receive the job info and display properly.
If that doesn't work, - check with GSPinc to see if the new USB to parallel cable will work with Omega 2.6. 6.0 and higher only uses this USB to parallel cable

Reaction GFX

My understanding is that ECP is only required for EDGE 2. Ours is an old, really old EDGE 1 (side open, with the big black knob).

Reaction GFX

Man...these old machines and software really are a mystery to me sometimes. As of the end of day yesterday I still had not successfully sent a job to the EDGE. This morning I give it a go without changing ANY settings...IT WORKS!! UGH!!

Reaction GFX

For the 3-4 small jobs we do a year on this thing, it just isn't worth it. If my Epson GS6000/Graphtec FC7000 had slightly better print-to-cut registration (especially for small things), I'd really have no need for the EDGE at all anymore.