• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

edge2 - Changing Platen rubber drive belt?

Joe House

Just make sure all the bits are out of there and don't worry about replacing them. The roller should spin just fine without them

Jburns

I kind of agree with Joe above- the vinyl is turned by the sprockets, the foil is turned also - and presses on the vinyl, and the platen kind of "floats" along. I think I had a machine a while ago that the rubber O-rings were decayed.

Bcrawf

Anyone have some experience with this? Thanks,
Bruce Crawford
Well, I finished installing new rubber belts for the platen, was able to find replacements at Ace hardware (I used 1.75" OD, 1.5" ID X 1/8" rubber "O" rings)
I found a video** on YouTube but it didn't show how to remove the shaft, so I ended up "loosening" the clamps around the shaft, backed out the set screw on the bottom pulleys for the rubber pulley belt, applied a little lubricant to the shaft and worked it back and forth until I was able to slide one end out, installed the new "O" ring belt and repeated it on the other side.** in the video the man removed the top section, with the Platen/drive shaft from the frame, I did not, I left it in the frame and
had no problems. Be sure to remove the left side cover, it makes it easier to get to the pulley set screws and reinstall the sprockets. I hope this helps anyone who needs to replace the platen belts. I would recommend a set of "T" handle metric Allen keys.