• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

emailing invoice issues

visual800

We email ALOT of invoices now, which is great. However maybe 1 out of 5 people say when they get my invoice it is the size of a poster and prints like 6 pages.....WTH! I have dragged the scanned invoice into illy and its 8.5 x 11, low resolution, seems normal to me. What in the heck are people people from that would cause something like this

I scan in at 320dpi, 8.5x11, nothing spectacular

OH and instead of calling me about it being large they just dont pay until I call them. Typical humans

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Are you printing the invoices then scanning?? You can't just send the pdf from your accounting software?

klmiller611

If you are using Quickbooks, there is a menu option of "email invoice" This is what I use all the time. Fast, simple and quick.

But I agree otherwise, make the PDF in your program rather than scan.

Best
Ken

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If your accounting software doesn't have an email feature (for whatever reason) just get the new free version of adobe reader and it will allow you print to a PDF like it was a printer.

reQ

+1 for quickbooks, can't make it more simple. Emailing invoices daily and they get marked as VIEWED after customer opens them which is a nice future.

reQ

Is that a feature within quickbooks or your email?

In you TRANSACTIONS-SALES tab, where all invoices are, there is a columns where it says STATUS, once you send invoices it gets maked SENT, once customer opens it, it changes to VIEWED

WildWestDesigns

If your accounting software doesn't have an email feature (for whatever reason) just get the new free version of adobe reader and it will allow you print to a PDF like it was a printer.

That must have changed. That used to be only available with Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Other option would be to use CutePDF. In some instances that's quicker then the Adobe PDF print driver.

2B

In you TRANSACTIONS-SALES tab, where all invoices are, there is a columns where it says STATUS, once you send invoices it gets maked SENT, once customer opens it, it changes to VIEWED

What version of QB are you using?

finding the status of the INV being viewed is alluding me

I can see when the INV was E-mailed under CUSTOMER > INTENDED INV > REPORTS > TRANSACTION HISTORY
using 2014 QB

CanuckSigns

Is that a feature within quickbooks or your email?

It's a feature of Quickbooks Online. We tried it out for a while and found it was severely lacking in features, so we switched back to desktop.

In the desktop version you can see when the invoice was emailed, but not when it was viewed.

reQ

It's a feature of Quickbooks Online. We tried it out for a while and found it was severely lacking in features, so we switched back to desktop.

In the desktop version you can see when the invoice was emailed, but not when it was viewed.

What futures you use that QBO does not have if you don't mid me asking? I am with it since january, happy for now at least

CanuckSigns

What futures you use that QBO does not have if you don't mid me asking? I am with it since january, happy for now at least

When we last tried it, payroll wasn't working, which is pretty major. Was asked about it and it was a "known issue" with no timelime to be fixed.

We also found that emailing invoices from QBO didn't allow us to change the email message that went with the invoice, for example, if an invoice is past due, we send the invoice with a message saying it is past due, please remit, there is no way of having different messages in QBO, which seems minor, but we found if you don't let them know it's overdue, it doesn't get paid right away.

there were a few other minor things that we noticed that were enough to put me over the edge and switch back.

Also, if you do decide to switch from QBO to Desktop, there is no way to migrate your data, you can download it as an excel spreadsheet and re-import it into desktop, but the process is clunky at best.

reQ

When we last tried it, payroll wasn't working, which is pretty major. Was asked about it and it was a "known issue" with no timelime to be fixed.

We also found that emailing invoices from QBO didn't allow us to change the email message that went with the invoice, for example, if an invoice is past due, we send the invoice with a message saying it is past due, please remit, there is no way of having different messages in QBO, which seems minor, but we found if you don't let them know it's overdue, it doesn't get paid right away.

there were a few other minor things that we noticed that were enough to put me over the edge and switch back.

Also, if you do decide to switch from QBO to Desktop, there is no way to migrate your data, you can download it as an excel spreadsheet and re-import it into desktop, but the process is clunky at best.

I see, but seems like all of it was fixed, because its all working right now. They are pretty good with updates for it

CanuckSigns

That explains why I can't find it lol.

Oh well....I know when I hit send it goes out because my phone goes off and there it is in my inbox.

The customers that get invoices emailed regularly don't make excuses or pay late, they're all pretty good for that.

Now if we could just get everyone else to pay up.......I think we're at 85k in receivables right now. :covereyes:

i hear ya, we are at $86,000 in recievables, with $46,000 being over 30 days, just the way it goes!

visual800

I do not have any accounting software, I dont need it. I still add all stuff up at end of year and let my cpa deal with it. Some invoices are printed and then handwriten

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
What kind of cash flow do you have that you can have 86k in receivables and your response is: "just the way it goes!"?
When you deal with BIG customers, don't p!ss them off. Losing a $60,000/year customer because you want your money faster is not going to do you any good. I'm covering 20% cash to keep those big customers.

I deal with banks (customers) all the time and they seem to know the longer they have their money, the better they are. I sometimes wait 90 days out before sending a "reminder" email about an invoice. SO to quote Gino, yes I will "play banker to these businesses".

Pat Whatley

I do not have any accounting software, I dont need it. I still add all stuff up at end of year and let my cpa deal with it. Some invoices are printed and then handwriten

Scan into Flexi, export as a PDF, make sure "supress options" is not checked, fit to LETTER, save and email away.

WildWestDesigns

To me, I would download Scribus. Setup a file for invoice. Enter in your info then export to PDF (Scribus has that option built in).

If you don't want dedicated accounting software, that would be my suggestion.

Could probably even do that in LibreOffice as well. I do believe there are some templates for invoices where that's already setup.

Although, to be honest, I don't know how even your method would generate 6 pages on their end (if they are being on the up and up), unless they are doing something. Who knows what that could be.