• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Emblem reattachment rally stripes

Stacey K

I like making signs
Update and another question! Thank you all for your help with these rally stripes in my previous post last week! I learned a few things...

1. Do NOT try and cut around the emblem...it just does not work
2. Knifeless tape is the best thing since sliced bread.
3. 3M 180 is some great vinyl and dry apply with this vinyl is a breeze!
I started on the tailgate thinking I could cut around the handle and emblem...ya, that didn't work. Then I plotted around the handle and removed the emblem with some heat and fishing line. I spent the next 30 minutes removing the sticky stuff...(need a better way to do this). I cut a hole where the handle is so I had a perfectly smooth application then just had to touch up a bit around the handle. The hood went well except that I had a hard time reaching and had a couple bubbles. I waited 15 minutes for them to go down a bit then divided them into quarters and worked them out with my finger. Did I do this right? IDK but it turned out pretty good for my first try. I attached pics..it's raining...those aren't bubbles LOL

QUESTION! How do I put the emblem back on? Do I use a grease pencil and trace the emblem then cut like 1/2" in and then reapply the emblem? How much "underlap" should I leave? Thanks All!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 343
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 322
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 309

Bigdawg

Just Me
You did a really good job on those stripes! They always look so easy, but are difficult to get on correctly. I don't have an answer to your emblem question - just wanted to compliment you on the install.

papabud

Lone Wolf
your install does look good.
hoods are hard to reach at times.
now the emblem.
when i remove one. 9 out of 10 times it stays off
but when i have to put it back on. if there is enough factory adhesive left i just go with that. if there isn't. vhb tape will be your new best friend.
and you can normally apply them by sight. the kids at the factory just slap them on quickly,
on the hood install. if you try to do both sides at once you will end up fighting it. i would lay both sides down and tape it up, then install each side by itself.

Stacey K

I like making signs
your install does look good.
hoods are hard to reach at times.
now the emblem.
when i remove one. 9 out of 10 times it stays off
but when i have to put it back on. if there is enough factory adhesive left i just go with that. if there isn't. vhb tape will be your new best friend.
and you can normally apply them by sight. the kids at the factory just slap them on quickly,
on the hood install. if you try to do both sides at once you will end up fighting it. i would lay both sides down and tape it up, then install each side by itself.
Thank you! - I wasn't sure if I should try to cut them apart or not. This hood was flat with only one curve but the next one might not be. I assume I should cut some of the vinyl that will lay under the decal right? Or just put it on over the vinyl?

papabud

Lone Wolf
i would just stick right to the vinyl personally. logo will only come off if your vinyl fails. but if it gives you a piece of mind. you can cut it.

Stacey K

I like making signs
i would just stick right to the vinyl personally. logo will only come off if your vinyl fails. but if it gives you a piece of mind. you can cut it.
OK, that's what I was thinking too. Thank you so much for all your help and quick responses today!

visual800

great job and Im all about de-badging a vehicle. We all know what brand and type it is, leave that junk off. Makes it look clean